Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Parametric Louvers

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Louvers

There is some problem with the constraints setupup in your file maxxue.

I havn't had time to delve into it . Have a look at the louvres posted above. ( There is apparently also a probelm with these, although they work OK in certain situations. Refer thread CLICK HERE

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by beegee
    There is some problem with the constraints setupup in your file maxxue.

I havn't had time to delve into it . Have a look at the louvres posted above. ( There is apparently also a probelm with these, although they work OK in certain situations. Refer thread CLICK HERE
    Thank you beegee!

Login to Give a bone

I know this is an old thread, (they say the good things never die) but could you family people please tell me if the nested louvre blade was a generic wall based template which you made a window category or did you start with a window template?

How did you control the height of the blade to match it's position in the arrayed family Also can the depth of blade be controled?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Garn
    I know this is an old thread, (they say the good things never die) but could you family people please tell me if the nested louvre blade was a generic wall based template which you made a window category or did you start with a window template?

How did you control the height of the blade to match it's position in the arrayed family Also can the depth of blade be controled?
    From memory, the louvres were made in a window family and the nested blade was generic. ( I'll check that when I get time )

The blade was arrayed vertically, with the top and bottom blades locked in postition to the frame and the array number controlled by a formula.

The depth of the balde can also be controlled if its nested aand that parameter is shared.

Login to Give a bone

'preciate that

Login to Give a bone

Old subject, still a problem, at least with me. Try this one. Round louver gable end vent. Generic model wall based family. I've tried everything I can think of to some methods mentioned here and I cant' get it. I tried using a nested family, but I can't join geometry, so the vent looks terrible. Since you can't align the edge of a sweep or extrusion to a radius, I can't get the louvers to stay within the vent space. I've spent countless hours on this thing and I've decided it's not possible. Please someone tell me I'm wrong.

Josh

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm at home, so I can't easily open Revit files (not to mention I don't have 9.1 yet anywhere). I think you are right though. Based on your description, you are trying to array a horizontal blade within a circular wall penetration, and you want the louvers to adapt their length as needed based on the width of the circle at the point where the blade takes place. Since when you array an object there is no way to easily control any individual object, you can have them adapt. The way I see it the developers could add to bits of functionality (which may already be covered in this thread).

1.) Introduce the ability to give a radius or spline to a reference line. If reference lines could be splines and radii then when dealing with arrays, you could do a first and last array, and align/lock the ends of the 1st and last blades to your curving reference lines, therefore, as the objects array they should grow and follow the curving ref line/

2.) This might be a little easier for the developers. Make arrays smarter, more like arrays in a programming language. We can know how many objects are in an array (since we can define it) but we can't really know anything about the objects in an array. When you're programming the "object" in an array can know where it is in the array, ie is it first, second, fourth, tenth, etc. If it were possible for an object in a Revit array to know what its number is (in the array) as a variable then you could write a formula that, based on the number of objects, the spacing between the objects, and the radius of the circle the object could lengthen or shorten itself as needed. We can know everything right now, and do everything, except to extablish where in the array the object is. Being able to know where in an array an object is would lend huge functionality to the array tool, IMHO.
    -R

Login to Give a bone

I cannot look at your family (will get 9.1 next week), but if you want your louver elements to fit within a circular shape, why not built a parametric void within your family to cut the excess from the blades? It shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys. Yeah, I tried the void, donut idea but couldnt' get it to re-size properly, simply because I'm learning, but Sdavis mentioned the same thing, so sounds like I need to go back to that and add some parameters to control the size of the void. I appreciate it. Let's me know I wasnt' going backwards at least!!

Josh

Login to Give a bone

If you have trouble making a full circle/donut parameteric, split it in two semi circles and treat it as two shapes. It might be easier.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234