Thread: Stacking Electrical Devices?

Login to Give a bone

Default Stacking Electrical Devices?

I am trying to stack symbols in a view, but I'm having troubles with it.

Example: On a fire alarm system typically when you enter a building there is a manual pull station and above that in the same vertical plan there is an audio/visual device mounted at another height. I've already placed my pull station on the drawing, and would like to show a A/V above it, but the software will not let me do it.

As of right now I have the symbols placed next to each other, but is there another way to have this symbol jump up and stack on the manual pull station and then jump back down to the wall when there is not another device already in the same vertical plan? One would think using the elevation parameters the software would be able to tell the difference and do this, but I guess for only being one years old Revit MEP has not leared this yet.

May be off setting the family so that the symbol in 2D plan view symbol will represent stacking?

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stacking Electrical Devices?

Quote Originally Posted by mstuver
    I am trying to stack symbols in a view, but I'm having troubles with it.

Example: On a fire alarm system typically when you enter a building there is a manual pull station and above that in the same vertical plan there is an audio/visual device mounted at another height. I've already placed my pull station on the drawing, and would like to show a A/V above it, but the software will not let me do it.

As of right now I have the symbols placed next to each other, but is there another way to have this symbol jump up and stack on the manual pull station and then jump back down to the wall when there is not another device already in the same vertical plan? One would think using the elevation parameters the software would be able to tell the difference and do this, but I guess for only being one years old Revit MEP has not leared this yet.

May be off setting the family so that the symbol in 2D plan view symbol will represent stacking?

Any thoughts on this would be great.
    As far as I know there isnt any such feature, however if you just load the annotation of the symbol (not the family) by itself, you should be able to add the symbol wherever you want. Add a few well placed reference lines in these symbols as well and you can even align it so it moves.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Stacking Electrical Devices?

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    As far as I know there isnt any such feature, however if you just load the annotation of the symbol (not the family) by itself, you should be able to add the symbol wherever you want. Add a few well placed reference lines in these symbols as well and you can even align it so it moves.
    What would the hole idea of working with BIM (Building Information MODELING) PROGRAM, MEANING 3D, AND YOU HAVE THINK X (LENGTH), Y (HIGH) AND Z (DEPTH) COORDINATES. WHY SHOULD WE (ELECTRICAL DESIGNERS) HAVE TO USE ANNOTATION SYMBOLS (OLD SCHOOL) 1D?

Login to Give a bone

We have symbol offset values instance parameters built into all out electrical outlets, fire alarm devices, phone jacks, etc. for this purpose. This is adjustable offset and you can set it to whatever looks good graphically. Model portion of pull station / strobe remain in at code required heights

Login to Give a bone

read this. it will show you how do create offset parameters.

https://www.augi.com/articles/detail/get-a-grip