Thread: New Project - Between Two Offices

Login to Give a bone

Default New Project - Between Two Offices

Our office is starting a new project using Revit 2008 and I've been tasked to determine the best solution with sharing a model between two separate architectural offices which are 1400km apart. I'm wondering If anyone has any advice on sharing the model over the long distances? Is linking two separate models the most efficient (ie Exterior and Interior Models) or is Using worksets in the same model over a VPN an effective method (VPN's worry me because of the speed)?

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to do this?

I appreciate any input.

Matt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Project - Between Two Offices

I share your concern about the VPN. Obviously sharing the entire building database via worksets would be optimal.

If the project has a logical separation point, I would break it up. Do a quick search for threads regarding linked projects, and scheduling from there. Here is a good thread and it incorporates RA 2008 advances: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...linked+project
    Last edited by petervanko182254; 2007-06-08 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Found a resurrected thread that is applicable...

Login to Give a bone

Has anyone found anymore information on working between offices? We are in the similar situation, but in different countries....NZ & Aussie.

To add complexity, we are wanting to document out of one office (model)...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I believe the optimal approach to worksharing between offices that share a common WAN is to use a "magic box" like those available from Riverbed Technologies. I plug them because they are the only product I've witnessed as successful personally. I believe there other a couple other companies offering similar devices. Regardless they are expensive! But perhaps not as expensive as not doing something?

If that is not an option then your next best bet is to use technology like Remote Desktop to operate remote dedicated pc's to work inside the other "home" office. You transmit only keyboard, display and mouse data across the net. The "heavy lifting" is actually done on the remote PC.

As for between NZ and AUS, I suppose that if you've got a good ISP and pipe that a WAN could still deliver good performance in conjunction with a Riverbedish device.

If firms do not share a WAN then it is a Remote Desktop situation or setting up a temporary shared EyeTee structure so they can share a WAN.

Someone shared an approach using an Internet based storage technology in the past but I can't speak to its success personally and for some reason I can't find the post tonight.

Login to Give a bone

This issue has raised its head again (but not between Aussie & NZ, this time it is between our two NZ offices) - and no we haven't progressed to utilising Riverbed type technologies.

The remote desktop is a unique approach...

We have trialed the following in the past with not much success and was hoping someone might have some other bright ideas:

Main model created in our Wellington Office, required assistance from Auckland office for documentation only.
    Updated models sent to Auckland office
    Auckland office linked in Wellington model and created callouts for details (started off as detail callouts, moved to drafting views).
    Views were then saved out and sent to the Wellington office for inclusion to their model....this kind of worked except for issues with duplicate notes/families that were changed at both ends (should only be changed at one end)

The current project will be modeled to a similar stage, although there will still be some modeling/design work required. At this stage we haven't discussed how best to break up the model - any helpful ideas would be great. The building is approx 6 storeys high & is a laboratory teaching facility. I really hope I haven't confused anybody...