Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: integer parameter problem

Login to Give a bone

Default integer parameter problem

Hi, here comes my second post. I try to set a integer parameter for my window muntins or mullion.. doing array, add label, and test the flex, all fine. Then I align the edges of each muntin to ref plan of the edge of window and lock them. Then when I try to flex the window width, I got a error message (see attached image). I'm sure it shouldnt be like this, which step I got wrong or missing? please help, thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: integer parameter problem

In my experience I have found arrays to be the most frustrating part of family creation. I fortunately don't use them a lot, but when I do, it is a matter of trying different modeling orders and aligning before the array or after. What works one time may not necessarily work the same way in a different family. I am yet to find a consistent order for using arrays.

I'm sorry I can't offer any useful help, arrays are just difficult to use. Hopefully someone else might offer some useful info, for my benefit too .

Login to Give a bone

Try this:

Once you finish the array, select the second, or last (if you used "move to last" option) element in the array, then push the edit group button above, and align lock only that element to your reference plane. Then select "finish group", and see if it will flex OK then.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your input, I have just tried to use "edit group>align-lock>finish group" method, but no luck. ( I even prayed before I flex my window width) it still dont work. I got the same error message. Hopefully there will be a solution for this, as I reckon this is very important if we need to set up a flexible window family with multiple muntins.

Login to Give a bone

Post the family....someone might find the answer...

Login to Give a bone

If I understand what you want to do, I think the attached is what you want.

1. I drew two horizontal reference planes to control the distance from top and bottom,
    2. created a solid extrusion for the mullion,
    3. arrayed it using the "last" option.
    4. Then I aligned the bottom mullion with the bottom reference plane and locked it,
    5. then the top.
    6. Selected the array number and added an integer parameter.
    7. Edited one of the groups, edited the extrusion, and drew a dimension from side to side and set the dimension as the window Width parameter.

It seems to flex and change number of mullions correctly. The last step was something I had to do after the fact, because the mullions weren't flexing with the window's width even though they were flexing with the height. Hope this is what you were talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I think a good process to follow is to create subcomponents (separate families) for any type of module you need to array ... in this case the mullion. In the mullion family, create instance parameters for your needs (length, depth, height, etc.). Load this family into your main window family, align/lock etc.to the appropriate ref planes/lines and assign this family's parameters to the mullion's parameters. Now, when you flex the window parameters, they will 'drive' the mullion's parameters. You should find this method consistantly successful.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks all. Yes, I worked this out by using nested family. I create separate mullion family and load it into window family, setting mullion length parameter equal to window width, array the mullion, aligning edges and lock them, adding integer parameter, then I can flex both the integer and window width, all mullion stretch with the widow width.

Login to Give a bone

steedlei - Can you attach a sample so that I can see what I'm doing wrong? I have made a Mullion family and inserted that into my window family but still getting the same error! So I'm doing something wrong. I'll read the post a couple times to make sure I didn't miss something. A sample attachment would be great!

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Fixed my own finally see what you guys think!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by billyn; 2007-07-17 at 07:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast