Thread: True North Rotate and Project North Alignment

Login to Give a bone

Default True North Rotate and Project North Alignment

Hi, I have a Project I started off with the building model without any site information. The site information (Site.dwg) unfortunately was provided after the building model was completed. I linked the Site.dwg into my project at True North and then reset to Project North. Later I found out that the building model was a bit off about 10 degrees to the East at True North setting. Now, I have to reset/rotate the building 10 degrees West as it should be without affecting its alignment at Project North setting. The problem I am having is I am rotating the True North but every time I relink, the site.dwg always inserts at the same old location and angle as if I have not rotated anything at all.
    When I Rotate the building 10 degrees West at True North and reset back to Project North, the building alignment is off by that.
    Is there a proper way to do this?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Firmso; 2007-06-13 at 01:54 AM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: True North Rotate and Project North Alignment

Try this...

Create a separate project and link the civil file in center to center.
    Use Tools menu > Shared Coordinates > Acquire Coordinates > pick the civil file
    Save the project and when Revit asks about saving the data to the cad file click OK
    (Revit is saving a UCS to the dwg file)

Now link in your Building project file (into your site project) and position it correctly on the site including the elevation if you like (use the move command in elevation or section).
    Use Tools menu > Shared Coordinates > Publish Coordinates > pick your building.
    When Revit asks you to define a location just accept the default (internal) and click OK.
    Save the project and when Revit asks to save the data to the building file click OK.

Now return to your building project file. Any plan set to show true North should now display the correct orientation. If you export to dwg just be sure to choose Shared in Export > Options first this way the dwg file will align with your civil file.

If you link the civil dwg file into the building project for some reason you can choose "by shared coordinates" and it will align itself correctly. Same for the Revit site project file. Now any design changes or further site inaccuracy will be easily changed by visiting the site "master" file and repositioning the building.

If you want something else to consider or read you can take a look at the ARTICLE I wrote in the past.

Login to Give a bone

Lately, since we have not been upgrading ADT to the latest version, I've been doing something slightly different, because if you let Revit write to the dwg, it'll write to the latest format, which can't be opened with ADT2006. So instead, I acquire coordinates from the dwg so that the shared coordinates of the site project align with those of the dwg, thus preserving it's format. You can find this info from some old threads and posts by Wes and James Van.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    ...So instead, I acquire coordinates from the dwg so that the shared coordinates of the site project align with those of the dwg, thus preserving it's format...
    that's what I wrote...but Revit will still ask to save the location data back to the file or at least it does now.

Login to Give a bone

oops, didn't phrase that well haha...I just meant to say that you wouldn't need to save changes to the dwg. After all, there aren't any. Originally, I never acquired from the dwg. Instead I would just rotate the dwg under the building and then publish to it. But by doing so I couldn't open the dwg anymore. Ok, I'll shut up now....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    Try this...

Create a separate project and link the civil file ....
    Steve,

Thanks so much for your reply. Just one more thing.
    Now that I have the Site Project.rvt, will I be able to use it to do my site render and 3d views without any objections from Revit?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Firmso; 2007-06-13 at 05:05 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Firmso
    Steve,

Thanks so much for your reply. Just one more thing.
    Now that I have the Site Project.rvt, will I be able to use it to do my site render and 3d views without any objections from Revit?
    Thanks
    Sure, you can do it in either project file...building with site linked in via shared coordinates or the reverse.