Thread: Nest Wall Sweep with Wall Reveal?

Login to Give a bone

Default Nest Wall Sweep with Wall Reveal?

Hello,

I have looked into a few methods for creating things like base, crown and case moldings (here and through experimentation). I am new to the "line based" families idea, but I like it as a tool, if only I could understand it better. The way one views, and draws or adds components is still unclear to me as it works differently than using profiles (as in, I drew an extrusion in the left view, as though creating a profile, but when I placed the family into project the family inserted in such a way that it appreared rotated- 90 degrees out of plane). However, I was able to sort it out to view properly, though I do not understand why it works the way it does. So I have few things to work out in those regards.

Here's the crux of the issue:

I don't seem able to get a void to cut the wall (face) that I am drawing the line-based family on. In my family file, I have drawn both a void extrusion and a solid extrusion to fill the perimeter of the voided area. When inserted into the project, the solid extrusion appears as expected (exception: see 1st paragraph) but the wall material has not been cut, so I only see a portion of the solid that protrudes beyond the wall plane.

I like the possibility of the line-base families with regard to casework and trimwork. It seems more flexible (less problematic) than wall sweeps and in-place families (sweeps). So far my experiement is not working.

So, I made a work-aoround: At the moment, I have elected to create a wall reveal 1st, and then 2nd, a wall sweep using a profile that is partially embedded in the wall and aligned with the reveal (in elevation). It works, but it requires that I double up on my sweep work and is timeconsuming.

Questions:

1. Can a line-based family contain a void, and if so how do I get it to cut the host plane (in my case, a wall)?
    2. Is it possible to nest a wall reveal and a wall sweep so that I can place my embedded family into a wall in one move?

t.i.a.

OKAY....(LATER):

I determined that using linebased generic works for quick "drafting-like" work. So, I created the appropriate base and crown families just using lines. But, I also determined that for modeling what I have in mind (inset channels to frame GWB) that a generic wall based family works well. with an instance parameter for length I now have the ability to drag and adjust a sweep (containing void and solid) along each appropriate wall. It doesn't work as handily as the 2 pick style of the linebased family, but at least I can get the wall to be cut by a void.

still, input is welcome.
    Last edited by mmiles; 2007-06-27 at 03:30 PM.