See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Change Associated Level of Floor Plan

Login to Give a bone

Default Change Associated Level of Floor Plan

How do I change the associated level of a floor plan? When I select the plan and go to view properties, it does not give me the option to do so. What is the correct way to go about this?
    Colquhoun
    Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it; right is right even if no one is doing it. - St. Augustine

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change Associated Level of Floor Plan

It is not possible to change the associated view for a plan. You would have to create a new floor plan with a different associated view using view-->new-->floor plan and then select the desired level.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Login to Give a bone

Mr. Spot, I didn't think there was, but I thought I would ask. I am training someone in the office who recently started a new project. They created three seperate views for the project, existing view, demolition view, and new construction view. I told him this was not the way to proceed, it should have been one view with three seperate phases. He has done quite a bit of work on the project. I do not know how to go back and combine the project back into one view. Do you have any ideas?
    Colquhoun
    Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it; right is right even if no one is doing it. - St. Augustine

Login to Give a bone

Careful now......

A view is essentially a query of the Revit model so a plan is a slice through the building looking downwards (usually - are you sucking eggs yet? bear with me, please). The phase issue is a way of applying time frame to the model and individual views can show different phases by querying the timeframe aspects of the model. All that however is irrespective of the associated level. I usually draw a plan view once and then duplicate with detailing and alter the phase properties in the View Properties dialog.

If you need a different associated level than just select View>New>Plan and choose the relevant level. You can play around with Cut planes and Plan Regions to get exactly the view you are seeking.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Colquhoun
    Mr. Spot, I didn't think there was, but I thought I would ask. I am training someone in the office who recently started a new project. They created three seperate views for the project, existing view, demolition view, and new construction view. I told him this was not the way to proceed, it should have been one view with three seperate phases. He has done quite a bit of work on the project. I do not know how to go back and combine the project back into one view. Do you have any ideas?
    The way I believe it should be done to show three different stages of construction would be to create three phases, existing, demolition, new construction. Then model the existing building, making sure the elements are set to the existing phase (you can change elements phases by selecting them and choosing the appropiate phase in the properties).

Then, depending on how you want to show the demolished elements (by the sounds of it you want to show these in a view on their own?) select the elements to be demolished and go to the properties and select their phase to be demolished as demolition (naturally).

Then model the new construction elements and set its phase to new construction (of course). (Remember, if they haven't been created in the correct phase you can group select all the elements that are wrong and just change the phase in the properties).

Now to display them individually take the base floor plans and duplicate them to create three copies of each floor, then setup the view properties to show the appropriate phases using the phase filter and current phase options.

If they've actually create new levels (not views for each stage) you can select the elements and cut and paste aligned to the appropriate level which will change the associated view.

I hope I understood correctly anyways,
    Cheers.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

right click on which plan you want to change level, ''create a view template from view''
    and write your new template to window
    next window you will see parameters on right side, that you can change. and find from list ''view range''
    you can change the level from there. and save it

after that again right click on which plan you want to change level, ''apply template properties'' this time
    and chose your created template and click ''apply properties''

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by zeyneptulum695519
    ...you will see parameters on right side, that you can change. and find from list ''view range''
    you can change the level from there. and save it...
    First, this is an ancient thread, the last post was July 31, 2004.

What you describe will not change the Associated Level for the view, that's just altering the View Range settings of the view template, and if applied to a view its view range. It isn't possible to change the Associated Level of a view. If you need a view for a different level you need to create one using View ribbon > Plan Views > choose a plan view type...

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve,

I have a bunch of plan details of junctions from one level, I want to duplicate each view with detailing and somehow change the level to the next floor up, then alter the detailing where required... is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    First, this is an ancient thread, the last post was July 31, 2004.

What you describe will not change the Associated Level for the view, that's just altering the View Range settings of the view template, and if applied to a view its view range. It isn't possible to change the Associated Level of a view. If you need a view for a different level you need to create one using View ribbon > Plan Views > choose a plan view type...