Thread: It is time for another problem to solve

Login to Give a bone

Default It is time for another problem to solve

Well, we are working at getting all the workstations (5 total) updated to Autocad Architecture 08, currently we have autocad 06 installed on the machines. previous to installing 08 on any of the workstations autocad 06 would open very quickly and run great. well now that i have 08 installed on the machines the startup of both 06 and 08 takes a couple min. this is happening on all the workstations. I have 08 installed on a home computer, as well as my boss having 08 installed on a laptop, neither of the two machines have this problem, only our network workstations. the workstations are

3.0ghz Intel's
    ATI graphics cards (don't know which one off the top of my head)
    running win XP.
    2gb of memory.

bosses laptop is also a 3ghz Intel, with 2gb mem, win xp and an ATI card. my home machine is a AMD 64 4000xp athlon, 2gb memory, nvidia 6800GT graphics card running windows Vista 32

What could cause this problem to pop up on only my workstations in the office and not the two remote computers? the lap top has no Internet connection, as well as all the workstations being internetless. my home computer has access via cable modem.

this all started when installing 08, previous to that things ran great, we are not running both versions at the same time, this happens when we open one of the other.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: It is time for another problem to solve

Are you using 'Domain' in your workstation instead of 'Workgroup'?

Login to Give a bone

nope, workgroup

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That strange. I thought having 'domain system' in networking is the cause of our slow down. That also happened to us after changing our networking from workgroup to domain. That means that wouldn't be the reason.
    When It happened, my AutoCAD 2005 took up to 3-4 min. to open. I changed to workgroup, uninstall and reinstall AutoCAD, and it was fixed. I went back to domain, and the problem didn't come back.
    If what you say is 100% true, I can't give any other solution but try to run a cleanup in your registry.
    I'm not really sure if the reinstallation or the cleaning up fixed the problem. I used Tuneup Utilities 2007.

Good luck.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Noahma2
    Well, we are working at getting all the workstations (5 total) updated to Autocad Architecture 08, currently we have autocad 06 installed on the machines. previous to installing 08 on any of the workstations autocad 06 would open very quickly and run great. well now that i have 08 installed on the machines the startup of both 06 and 08 takes a couple min. this is happening on all the workstations. I have 08 installed on a home computer, as well as my boss having 08 installed on a laptop, neither of the two machines have this problem, only our network workstations. the workstations are

3.0ghz Intel's
    ATI graphics cards (don't know which one off the top of my head)
    running win XP.
    2gb of memory.

bosses laptop is also a 3ghz Intel, with 2gb mem, win xp and an ATI card. my home machine is a AMD 64 4000xp athlon, 2gb memory, nvidia 6800GT graphics card running windows Vista 32

What could cause this problem to pop up on only my workstations in the office and not the two remote computers? the lap top has no Internet connection, as well as all the workstations being internetless. my home computer has access via cable modem.

this all started when installing 08, previous to that things ran great, we are not running both versions at the same time, this happens when we open one of the other.
    I'm tempted to put "No Internet Connection" at the top of the list of causes. AutoCAD (and most software these days) wants to phone home.

Your box comes up fairly fast, and your boss's does - but are you sure he has no internet connection? I'd fire the IT guy that worked for me and set up my laptop without internet! But maybe he has a neighbor with an open wireless?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ekubaskie
    I'm tempted to put "No Internet Connection" at the top of the list of causes. AutoCAD (and most software these days) wants to phone home.

Your box comes up fairly fast, and your boss's does - but are you sure he has no internet connection? I'd fire the IT guy that worked for me and set up my laptop without internet! But maybe he has a neighbor with an open wireless?
    our neighbor is Ball Aerospace, Very secure wireless connections since they do alot of government space programs. Autocad 2008 was installed at the office on his lap top (were a very small company) and then registered at his home, with his wireless network. When it was installed at work, with no internet connection it opened just fine, and still works great when he brings it into the office. I have a feeling that it is indeed an internet connection problem, were working at talking the boss into getting office wide access, but its been well.... fruitless at the moment. on one of the machines i did turn off the communications service through the program on the disk. Still nothing, opens slow.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Noahma2
    our neighbor is Ball Aerospace, Very secure wireless connections since they do alot of government space programs. Autocad 2008 was installed at the office on his lap top (were a very small company) and then registered at his home, with his wireless network. When it was installed at work, with no internet connection it opened just fine, and still works great when he brings it into the office. I have a feeling that it is indeed an internet connection problem, were working at talking the boss into getting office wide access, but its been well.... fruitless at the moment. on one of the machines i did turn off the communications service through the program on the disk. Still nothing, opens slow.
    The first time after a reboot, I would expect to see some delay in loading. I just clocked firing up Civil 3D a first time at 45 seconds, and I have a hot box - AMD X2 6000+ CPU, 4G RAM, Raptor sysdrive, and a 7 megabit internet connection. I see easily 30 seconds longer at the office, with a 3.2G P4D, 2gig RAM, and a dismal 768K internet shared with 50 others.

After I exit CAD and then start it again without reboot, I get about 15 seconds to start up at home. Do you see the delay every time or do you get the faster restart after the first load?

There are a lot of network things that could slow you down. Running a packet-sniffer on one of the troubled boxes as you start CAD might give you a clue. You may see a lot of packets trying to get to the internet, or a lot of them querying status of a printer.

Antivirus settings are a possibility. CAD opens a lot of files starting up, and if they are all getting virus-checked that could drag things out. It gets even worse if the virus definitions are on the network, or if shared CAD support files are being scanned.

Login to Give a bone

the slow start is every time we start ither 06, or 08. The slow start did not start up with ither of them untill we installed 08. Virus scanners are not an issue, I turned mine off one day to double check it to see if that was the cause, and the slow start still existed.

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe this is related to the digital signature being turned on. Go into options and uncheck that and see what happens from there.

Login to Give a bone

nope that did not work ither.