See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Objects on Project Standards Workset

Login to Give a bone

Default Objects on Project Standards Workset

I came into a project about halfway in which worksets weren't being used. I am now attempting to create some worksets, for all the reasons you are all quite familiar with, and I find a lot of objects (in place families, floors, columns: a variety of objects) that are on the project standards workset. When I select these objects and attempt to change their workset, the only workset available in the dropdown box is project standards. Is there any way to get these objects onto a user-created workset without re-creating them?

Does it make a difference if I'm working in the central file to do this? I ask this because i'm working remotely on the file which makes opening the central file literally a 30 minute affair with another 30 minutes to save.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Objects on Project Standards Workset

Can you send post a screen shot of the elements dialog box? We had a problem (twice) that we sent to Support where we had model objects on view worksets. Your issue sounds similar. Factory could not fix it for us nor did they have a clue how it happened but we developed a work-around. Would like to see what you are seeing when you select the object...

Login to Give a bone

Here is a screen shot of it (attached). If I make the element editable and then try to change its workset, the only workset that it gives me the option of is "project standards" (which is its current workset). However, there are user created worksets and if I select an object on one of those it allows me to change it to any of the other user-created worksets.

Additionally, we've had that same issue as you, phyllisr. We've had model objects end up on view worksets and couldn't figure out how to change them to user created worksets without deleting and re-creating. What was your workaround for that, if I may ask?
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPantser
    What was your workaround for that, if I may ask?
    It is essentially recreating the objects but less work than you would expect. Go to a 3D view. Turn off every workset. The only model objects you see will be the ones on the view worksets where they do not belong. I grab them all and cut. Then, I use the Paste-Aligned > Same Place option and those objects should "disappear" and will be on whatever workset you have active. Even if it not on... Easy than finding individual things. Generally, the only manual effort is getting everything back to the correct workset - but I use category isolation and it usually does not take too long.

Just wait until you have a model family as an annotation family in a section mark. This is even harder to fix and development has been unable to solve this either. And this is theoretically "impossible" also.

Have not had your specific problem with the Project Standard workset but would be happy to take a look. If you cannot strip the project enough to post and retain the problem, let me know and I will send you access to an FTP site you can use. If I figure out what is happening, I will post the answer for all.

Login to Give a bone

Here is a screen shot of it (attached). If I make the element editable and then try to change its workset, the only workset that it gives me the option of is "project standards" (which is its current workset). However, there are user created worksets and if I select an object on one of those it allows me to change it to any of the other user-created worksets.

Additionally, we've had that same issue as you, phyllisr. We've had model objects end up on view worksets and couldn't figure out how to change them to user created worksets without deleting and re-creating. What was your workaround for that, if I may ask?
    If the workset option is greyed out. First try making the object editable befor entering the dialog. This usually does the trick.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    If the workset option is greyed out. First try making the object editable befor entering the dialog. This usually does the trick.
    I am aware of this, but when the element is editable I have only the project standards workset to choose from.
    Last edited by PinkPantser; 2007-07-16 at 06:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I am aware of this, but when the element is editable I have only the project standards workset to choose from.
    Instead of making the element editable, I generally go to the worksets dialog and make all worksets editable. Then the grey should go away.

Login to Give a bone

Its not an issue of not being able to change the workset in any capacity whatsoever, its that the only workset available to change it to is "project standards". It is not a gray box after I make the element editable. I just happened to take the screenshot when it wasn't editable. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by PinkPantser; 2007-07-17 at 03:41 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

we have this same problem. what we have noticed is that "Project Standards" is the actual name of the workset that things are on. when we open a new file with our template and enable worksets, this workset does not exist. when you click the Project Standards button below it lists items that are part of the Project Standards, but there is no workset named Project Standards.
    we are not sure how this got this way but we are 99.9% sure it happened in our "abroad office" in India.

ugh....
    we cannot load any more beams or joists into the project, so we are forced to make a dumb project and label everything with Text.