Thread: Rolling Back from Worksets

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Rolling Back from Worksets

Is there a way to return from worksets back to a regular file?
    How does "detach from central file" work. This is a command found in the window when opening a file.

philip

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Rolling Back from Worksets

Hi.
    Unfortunately, once you enable the feature in a project, hit save and close it the worksharing feature is a done deal. You cannot undo it.

Generally, to use the Detach from Central feature do the following:
    Copy the Central file to another location and rename it.

With Revit open, choose open and navigate to the copy you just made.

Choose 'Detach From Central'.

Open the file.

You now have an independent project file, however the worksets are still there, but now you are the owner of everything.

Best regards,
    Teresa

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rolling Back from Worksets

When you own everything can someone else still work on it?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by philipnoland
    When you own everything can someone else still work on it?
    No, they can't. Basically detaching from central is creating a stand alone file with no ties to the central model. By default, you own everything just like when you originally created worksets. For someone else to work on the detached file, you have to make it the new central file, and repeat the process of creating local user files. I use detach from central only when I want to open the model and poke around a bit, without borrowing any worksets. When I'm finished, I simply close the model without saving, and don't have the "save to central" dialogue pop up.

-Jon

Login to Give a bone

I found a way to remove worksets - it messes with some visibility sets and removes most of the views, details details -
    Right click a plan view and at the bottom of the fly-out says "save to new file" This will take some time so be patient and it will ask you to name the new file. The key is to select enough views to bring the whole model - it doesn't always work and you never know what you will get but it is a nice way to break pieces of the model out for design options/studies and worksets have been removed from the file.
    If someone has time I think the way to get the whole model is to select multiple views or I would try creating a view from the roof level of a building and set you visibility range all the way to grade and then save that view to a new file -

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I wouldn't call that "turning off worksets" but rather "copy and paste to new file"

The easiest way to do this is in 9.1 is to create three new views:

1. "Roof Plan" with some crazy view range settings (including everything)
    2. "Building Elevation" with no clip or crop settings, and the view range being "unlimited"
    3. 3D Default view with no section box or crop active.

By drag-selecting in all three views (holding down the ctrl key of course) you pick up almost every conceivable modeling element. You'll still loose some views probably, but you'll at least get levels, grids, and other stuff. Who knows, you might get everything important in the model including views. You can always copy drafting views and other views after the fact using other techniques. In the end, the biggest thing you'll loose that you can't easily replace is CAD files imported into "this view only" though those might come in with the views if you get them too.

Now, probably the easiest is to link it into another file, convert it into a group, and then save it to a new file. I don't know how this would affect worksets, or how good it would work, since I've never tried it.

Anyway, we've never done this late in a project. Once the workset/worksharing deed is done, we live with it. You can always rename worksets, combine them, etc... The only reason we'd want to un-workshare something is to make it into a template file after deleting a ton of stuff. Even then, unless there's a switch so to speak, I can't imagine that just copying the desired items to a new template file is easier.

Login to Give a bone

The only way to get rid of workests is to sends it to the factory. They are able to get rid of worksets in a project.

Login to Give a bone

This will work...

This works best if you open your views and tile the viewports....

Go to a 3d view and select the entire building.

Go to the plans and select everything.

Go to the elevations and select everything.

Group the selection.

Save the group to a file.

Open the group file - viola!

Larger buildings obviously would be more trouble. It worked fine for our single story retail buildings. The reason for selecting everything in the plans and elevations is that Revit will make views from most of the selections once the group is saved.

Login to Give a bone

So revit recreates all your views as well when you make a group of them? That could be handy.

I have considered another option although I'm not sure it will work 100%. I know that you can export to IFC and then bring that into an older version of Revit. I wonder it will bring all the views and text as well. That will surely be the quickest way to get rid of worksets.