Thread: room area measurement / doorsill

Login to Give a bone

Default room area measurement / doorsill

Hello everybody,
    we are doing a lot of rather big residential projects in our office. I started to learn Revit on a residential project with about 150 units, mostly 3 or 4 rooms apartments. Today our investor told us he wants from us areas of rooms and total for units calculated including door sill. Revit calculates areas only to wall faces (or centerlines), or did I miss something?

One solution for this I found, is to export room boundaries to autocad, adjust them so that they have the door sill, and "manually" get the area always at times we present some milestone.

Other would be to settle some shared parameter for room for number and type of door sills and add calculated area from them in schedule (didn't try it if it is even possible)

Or is there some way to know via schedule how many and what type of doors some room have and where they open, and this way somehow calculate the right answer?

Or to make rectangle with room separation for special room area / door sill? Don't think this would work - any time I try to draw room separation on wall I get a warning.

Or area plans? but this seems to me almost same as exporting to autocad.

What would be your suggestion to solve this problem? Frankly any of my own ideas presented above make me headache Areas are going to change, and project is to be adjusted according to them, investor wants his square meters, so it bothers me quite a lot, also other projects in office are sort of waiting for my "pilot project" evaluation...

Thanks a lot for any tip,
    regards Frantisek Stafek.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: room area measurement / doorsill

That's goofy. Does he want it with doors open or closed. Face of door or center of door? Do you have to deduct the width of the base trim and door trim from the usable sq. ft.?

Best way I can think of is to put in finished floors drawn accurately. Then schedule the floors.

Or just add what? (30" x 2.25") / 144 in. sq. = .47 sq. ft per door in each room? Could do that with a calculated value.

If the contractor is off by 1/8" on wall placement - the area will differ more than that. The problem getting so tight on area calcs is that when the tenant gets in there and measures and finds out the numbers doesn't match what was sold - then law suits start.
    Last edited by aaronrumple; 2007-07-13 at 08:20 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: room area measurement / doorsill

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    [size=2]If the contractor is off by 1/8" on wall placement - the area will differ more than that. The problem getting so tight on area calcs is that when the tenant gets in there and measures and finds out the numbers doesn't match what was sold - then law suits start.
    The office I used to work in did work on daycare projects. When I started the woman who was project manager designed rooms down to 1 or 2 sf over the licensing requirements. I actually saw her make a contractor reframe a wall because it was off by 1/2" when we field verified.

Once I took over management on the daycare projects I would design with a tolerance of 15 or 20 sf in each room. The licensing board never checked sf that close anyway. They took what was marked on the plan as the as built size. They would check a couple of dimensions in a couple of rooms just to keep us honest.