See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Error - can't open recovery file

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Fatal Error - can't open recovery file

I had a crash earlier and it prompted me to save a recovery file. When I try to open that recovery file or any of the other auto save files throughout the day it comes up with an error; element 1052873 has become corrupt before this session. The recovery file will delete this element. Then it prompts the error message; unrecoverable error occurred, Program terminated no need for recovery file because data has been saved recently.

Any suggestions on how to get my project back?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fatal Error - can't open recovery file

SUBSCRIPTION SUPPORT.

That's all I have. Sorry. That's what I do when I can't move any further. I've never not been able to open the recovery file after it was created. I would definitly put in a support request if you have that availiable to you. HOpefully someone else can give you some suggestions.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried recovering via a journal file? Probably won't work with such a terminal error, but....

Close Revit, use windows explorer to go to C:\\program files\revit\journals (or something similar), drag the journal file with a date at the time of the crash onto the revit icon on your desktop.

If that is no good, try the journal file immediately preceeding that one.

Wes

Login to Give a bone

Try doing an Audit on it before you open the file. Go file Open and you should see a check box that states Audit. This process will take a little longer for opening the file but it will also delete the corrupt element in your file.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Elmo - just had the same error and the open with Audit worked perfectly!

Ciao
    Marco

Login to Give a bone

Glad it could have been of some help.

Login to Give a bone

We've just gone through a day long exercise to get our central file back, after two crashes this week. The audit thing seems to work well, but it will only be a matter of time to the next melt down, I have a feeling. Does anybody know if there is a rhyme or reason to this type of crash, and a way to pre-empt it?

Login to Give a bone

The only time I have seen these crashes is when you have upgraded the file. That is why I generally do an audit on the file when I upgrade it. It tends to clear up most of the issues I have come across. Not all I might add but most.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AUGI Strangelove View Post
    We've just gone through a day long exercise to get our central file back, after two crashes this week. The audit thing seems to work well, but it will only be a matter of time to the next melt down, I have a feeling. Does anybody know if there is a rhyme or reason to this type of crash, and a way to pre-empt it?
    These types of crashes do tend to happen more with a file that has been upgraded. That said, in the last five years, these things have in my experience been tracked down to one of two primary sources. One is any linked or imported Autocad files. The second, harder to find, is either a network cable, or network card in a team member's machine starting to go "bad". This is extremely tough to find, since it can be intermittent for awhile until it finally goes altogether. I'd start by concentrating on the Autocad files. Although I don't have any hard data, I have seen issues when the AutoCAD files were of different versions of Autocad, say a 2004 file, and a different 2007 file in the same Revit file.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

FYI

Just had this error and the journal folder had a couple of backups. One before my last changes and one after. 'Before' work and 'After' had the same error. Audit on 'After' worked. This document is local and doesn't have worksets activated.

The only difference (change I made) was the addition of two sections with only the linework tool used to hide lines. No components or details added. I looked for the ID in the Before file and it didn't exist. I can't therefore track down the offending element. Both sections still exist despite the audit deleting the unknown element. Mine is a 64bit system. No idea what went wrong but it puts the wind up you for a bit!!!

Revit keeps 3 backups of each file in the journal folder. Can I increase this? Also, my file is now 5mb smaller - 14 down to 9!
    Last edited by barrie.sharp; 2009-12-08 at 11:36 AM. Reason: PS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast