Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macro for area

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Macro for area

Hello,
    I inherited a menu item with the following macro for finding the area of an object :

*^C^Carea;e;\-mtext;\_none;@1,-1;$m=$(/,$(fix,$(/,$(getvar,area),10000)),100)sqm;;

This works ok in WCS ie the text appears where it's clicked, but in other UCSs the text just goes off somewhere else. Can some macro expert fix it so that it works in any UCS?
    TIA,
    Kay.

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Macro for area

If you are using AutoCAD full version, then try the modified macro. It will not work in AutoCAD LT as it contains Lisp expressions.

^C^Carea;e;\-mtext;(setq pnt (getpoint));\!pnt;$m=$(/,$(fix,$(/,$(getvar,area),10000)),100)sqm;;
    HTH

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Alternatively, here's a vba macro that will do the same; plus..

1. Checks if you are working in millimeter ( via ltscale system variable) so that it will not give you an area in square millimeter.
    and;
    2.put the area to clipboard for pasting later (say in excel table).

Code:
    Sub AreaText()

Dim ClipData As New DataObject

Dim returnObj As AcadObject
    Dim basePnt, RetPoint As Variant
    Dim NewText As AcadText
    Dim Area As Variant
    Dim txtStyleObj As AcadTextStyle
        Set txtStyleObj = ThisDrawing.ActiveTextStyle

On Error Resume Next
          ThisDrawing.Utility.GetEntity returnObj, basePnt, "Select Object to Calculate..."
            If Err <> 0 Then
            Err.Clear

Exit Sub
        Else

If returnObj.Area = "" Then
            MsgBox "Object is a " & Mid(returnObj.ObjectName, 5, 30) & " and it doesn't have an area."
            Exit Sub
        End If

'MsgBox returnObj.ObjectName
      CurrHeight = txtStyleObj.LastHeight
      currltscale = ThisDrawing.GetVariable("LTSCALE")
      If currltscale < 100 Then
            Area = Format(returnObj.Area, "#,###.00 SQ. M.")

'MsgBox "The current value for Area is " & Area & "."
       Else
            Area = Format((returnObj.Area / 1000000), "#,###.00 SQ. M.")

End If

ClipData.SetText (Format(returnObj.Area, "#,###.00"))
      ClipData.PutInClipboard

RetPoint = ThisDrawing.Utility.GetPoint(, "Area is " & Area & vbCrLf & "Pick point where text is to be inserted...")

Set NewText = ThisDrawing.ModelSpace.AddText(Area, RetPoint, CurrHeight)
      NewText.Layer = "Text"
      ThisDrawing.SendCommand "justifytext" & vbCr & "l" & vbCr & vbCr & "m" & vbCr

End If

End Sub
    Note: This tool adapts the height of the last created text.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for fixing the macro, Haris, it works perfectly.
    As for the VBA, I'll save it for later - when I find out how to use it. Is it like using a lisp routine which has to be apploaded etc?
    Kay.

Login to Give a bone

We have a routine written in house for calculating areas.

Much of our work is calculating Net Internal Areas of office buildings. A 10 sq ft error can cost tens of thousands of pounds over a 25 year lease so it is paramount we get it right.
    Unfortunately this is not just a perimeter it also involves columns, restricted headroom etc as well which has to be removed from the area.

Our routine allows the user to click on as many closed polylines that they want to to add to the area. Every entity that is clicked changes colour so that there is no duplication or repeat clicks. The user then clicks on all the closed polylines which need to be removed from the area (columns etc) which are highlighted in a different colour.
    The user then clicks on a piece of text which is changed to what ever the sq m area value is and does the same for another piece of text for the sq ft.

We are currently investigating taking this a step further to make use of attirbutes/tables etc but are not sure if it is possible to achieve what we want to or not.
    We want to link hatches to cells in a table which update dynamically. Out main issue is that on some more intricate buildings we have problems hatching certain shapes and Autocad will not actually hatch an area. Until we solve this we dont think our aim of complete automation can be achieved.

Any ideas?
    edit: I really should start a new topic but as this is relavant somewhat to the OP I will leave it here.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nextvkin
    ...Is it like using a lisp routine which has to be apploaded etc?
    Kay.
    Yes. And like the lisp you can put the macro in a toolbar button in such a way that It will load automatically when needed. (No need to appload/vbaload).

Quote Originally Posted by mmccarter
    ...We are currently investigating taking this a step further to make use of attirbutes/tables etc but are not sure if it is possible to achieve what we want to or not.
    We want to link hatches to cells in a table which update dynamically. Out main issue is that on some more intricate buildings we have problems hatching certain shapes and Autocad will not actually hatch an area. Until we solve this we dont think our aim of complete automation can be achieved.

Any ideas?
    I think this can be possible via Database programming in VBA but I'll leave that to the experts to discuss. As for the areas that won't hatch, I would recommend to use regions instead of hatches, and subtract everything that is not needed (e.g. columns, voids, etc.) The advantage of this is in regions you can join/add,subtract, and maybe intersect(if needed) while in hatch, you can't, with the exception of trimming. (which in some circumstances doesn't work.)

All AUGI, all the time zoomharis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Every entity that is clicked changes colour so that there is no duplication or repeat clicks.
    I suggest you to check the handle property of the object rather than using colous. The advantage of this method is that, even if you make a duplicate selection, the program will handle it. Your current method depends upon the operator using it.

In that case, you can show the area of container object (In your case, closed polylines) instead of hatch area.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by zoomharis View Post
    If you are using AutoCAD full version, then try the modified macro. It will not work in AutoCAD LT as it contains Lisp expressions.

HTH
    A year later...it's been a great help, I've been using your modified macro successfully for a year now in FULL ACAD, but now I need it for LT; are you (or anyone) able to modifiy the original macro so it'll work in LT ie without the lisp expression? Thanks.
    Kay

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by zoomharis View Post
    I suggest you to check the handle property of the object rather than using colous. The advantage of this method is that, even if you make a duplicate selection, the program will handle it. Your current method depends upon the operator using it.

In that case, you can show the area of container object (In your case, closed polylines) instead of hatch area.
    The routine does both. It changes the colour so the user doesn't waste time trying to click the same object twice, but at the same time it also will not add the area again if the object is clocked more than once.

Unfortunately it is not possible to use the closed polyline for obtaining the area from it's properties. The area we are after nearly always has deductions to be made from columns or cores of buildings etc aswell - hence our routine of adding/subtracting areas by clicking on objects seems to be the best solution available.

Login to Give a bone

Converting the outer polylines minus the inner polylines into Regions might help then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast