Thread: Image formats and World files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Image formats and World files

Hi,

In the last week I've moved over from Map 2004 to Civil 3D 2008. On the whole its been a fairly smooth transition, but I've encountered a few problems with the Map functionality I was previously used to.
    Firstly, support for MrSid and ECW image formats appears to have disappeared - does anyone know why, and whether these can be reinstated via plug ins?
    Secondly, and on more or less the same topic, I used to rely on image placement by using the associated world file (.tfw in the case of TIFF). This function also appears to have gone.

Is it that our company has been mis-sold the correct product? I have spoken to the person who ordered the product but he is insistent he was told Civil 3D 2008 encompassed all the Map functionality?

Any help gratefully received!

Paul

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Image formats and World files

First - for the MrSID (and probably ECW, too - I'm not familiar with that format type) file import, you will need the Raster Design 2008 Object Enabler. You can download it at the following link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240618

Second - are you sure you're using the Map > Image > Insert function, and not the Insert > Raster Image Reference? The first should enable you to place the image using the world file, while the second will not.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Image formats and World files

mpeterson79 is correct on both, you need the Raster Design OE to use the map image insert for SID & EWC formats. From 2004 to 2008 is 4 releases and there has been a lot of additional features in both MAP and C3D. The major one in MAP is the FDO or Data Connect feature. This is one way of loading SID & EWD rasters with out the Raster Design OE. How ever it may not be suited for the type of work you are doing in C3D. The only other thing I'll point out is some of the COGO point features and/or imput/inquiry commands in MAP are disabled in C3D beacuse C3D has it's own set of those command.