Thread: ACAD 2007 Crash - No Error Message

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default ACAD 2007 Crash - No Error Message

Anyone had this happen?
    Suddenly, without hanging up, warning, or anything, AutoCAD session just disappears (along with changes on the drawing) No "Fatal Error", no "Not responding", just...POOF!

In most recent occurance, the drawing was unable to be recovered. (mercifully saved by a back-up, but autosave was also gone, as if it had closed "gracefully".)

I've seen this happen a few times, but not predictably...not necessarily large drawings, or multiple drawings open, or anything like that.

Wondering...any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACAD 2007 Crash - No Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma Jamma
    Anyone had this happen?
    Suddenly, without hanging up, warning, or anything, AutoCAD session just disappears (along with changes on the drawing) No "Fatal Error", no "Not responding", just...POOF!

In most recent occurance, the drawing was unable to be recovered. (mercifully saved by a back-up, but autosave was also gone, as if it had closed "gracefully".)

I've seen this happen a few times, but not predictably...not necessarily large drawings, or multiple drawings open, or anything like that.

Wondering...any ideas?
    Sue, you changed your name and really confused me

I would recommend checking your Autosave settings. I've found that they reset occassionally. I've always noticed it after a crash, but that may just be because that's when I was looking for them.

As to why it happens, I don't know. I've had it happen. I've often wondered if it's a video driver issue, but I don't know that for sure.

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, I've had my Autosave stop working occasionally as well...and of course, only found out when I really need it! I'm assuming a previous crash trashed the setting. Fortunately, I hit QS (Quicksave) pretty darn often. (After working on this program for 20 years, I've wised-up)
    I have thought about the video driver as well...though the occurrence is infrequent, so I don't know if that could be it. I would think it would happen more often if that were the issue.
    I'm wondering if it could be some sort of network thing, rather than a straightforward software problem. The "Poof" crash happened yesterday to a coworker, but my Autocad was acting sort of possessed around the same time, working on a completely different job/drawing. But we all point to the network.
    We may never know for sure, I suppose.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

the power exit strikes again

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma Jamma
    Yes, I've had my Autosave stop working occasionally as well...and of course, only found out when I really need it! I'm assuming a previous crash trashed the setting. Fortunately, I hit QS (Quicksave) pretty darn often. (After working on this program for 20 years, I've wised-up)
    I have thought about the video driver as well...though the occurrence is infrequent, so I don't know if that could be it. I would think it would happen more often if that were the issue.
    I'm wondering if it could be some sort of network thing, rather than a straightforward software problem. The "Poof" crash happened yesterday to a coworker, but my Autocad was acting sort of possessed around the same time, working on a completely different job/drawing. But we all point to the network.
    We may never know for sure, I suppose.
    I think this crash can occur between ACAD and other softwares (ex :Mathworks) .
    What do you think as reinstall again AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

Sue
    It's been happening to me recently, and I described it the same way:"POOF". (Vanilla 07)But I've had a new crash this morning that I've never seen before. I went into the Block editor to change linetype on a block I use fairly often. Closed the editor and there was nothing left in the drawing but the block. Everything was gone, xrefs, everything including the other 3 or 4 instances of the same block. I did a recovery and got the same results, luckily I have my Autosave set at 6 minutes and today it didn't screw up as it has recently. When I've tried opening the "crashed" dwg I get a dialog box that says: .dwg "contains authoring elements. Open in block editor?" Then in the editor for the block name it says <current drawing>, if I close the editor and save the change I have a drawing with one block. If I don't save the change coming out of the editor, it closes the drawing.
    I only go back to 2000i, have y'all ever seen anything like this before?
    Kevin