See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audit Bad Files

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Audit Bad Files

Hi to all:

How do you think I can removed or fixed a ($Audit-Bad-Block). Every time I open the insert block, my computer slows down and there is a fatal error that follows. I have no Idea how it happened. Sounds like there is a virus that infects the file. Is any one experienced the same and have an Idea how to resolve the issue.

Immediate response is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted (Auto-CAD-2007 user).

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Audit Bad Files

I'm guessing that you're seeing that block name in your block list while using the Insert command?
    Try using the Purge command. That might actually get rid of that "block", which was created during an Audit from something invalid.

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with Sue. I've had this problem too, but minus the crash. If the file keeps crashing on you, try opening it with RECOVER.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Audit Bad Files

Yes, just notice bad block on the list when I tried to use insert block and open design center causes the computer to freeze. I don’t know how it happened and how to delete mentioned bad files.

I did tried purge but notice that particular bad files can’t be purge. I tried to run audit but it get stuck somewhere along the way that might possibly causes by those particular bad files. I tried to open that particular files using recover same problem occurred maybe because the bad files already exist prior to saving it.

Just to keep my project going. What I did is to copy paste all the entities into newly created files and notice subject bad file was gone.

Now my question is how it happened and how to deal with it without deleting the entire files? Do you think the file was infected of any kind of virus or that particular file was corrupted and not recovered totally?

Thanks again,

Ted
    Last edited by Detsenira; 2007-11-02 at 04:18 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We've found this is more or less of a problem depending on which version of AutoCAD you use. In the articles on Autodesk's site, you will always find this referred to in the passive voice - "the file(s) became corrupted...," not "AutoCAD corrupted the file...", as if it were some act of God. Nevertheless, AutoCAD 2002, for example, was so prone to choking on its own data that they seem to have worked on the problem, as we've found AutoCAD 2006 to be a lot more robust (but there are still occasional burps). So if you're using an older version, upgrading may help. (Although 2006 is itself already an older version - I don't know how stable 2007 and 2008 are.)

As for what actions specifically cause file corruption, there isn't much information available. However, in our experience, 2002 seemed to have a lot of problems surrounding the creation of hatches, and all versions seem to get a little (or a lot) cranky when asked to handle objects created in non-AutoCAD ARX applications. Sometimes these are called "third party" applications, but more often than not they are the vertical applications offered by Autodesk itself, so there really isn't a third party involved.

There is also a standard set of approaches to fixing corrupted files:

- AUDIT command
    - RECOVER command
    - insert the file into a blank drawing
    - copy and paste the objects you want into a blank drawing (which you did)
    - try opening and saving the file in another application (i.e., Intellicad) that handles the .dwg format
    - send the file to your dealer and see if they (or Autodesk) can do anything with it

Hope this helps,

Michael Evans
    Togawa Smith Martin Residential, Inc.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Did you try using quick select to select all the bad blocks (by name) and deleting them? (Then purge). I find that it's much easier than copying everything out.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Audit Bad Files

Thank you Michael for sharing your experience regarding File Corruption which I believe the main cause of my subject issue, even though we don’t have enough information on how to easily resolve such kind of Bad Files with object that cannot be purge or deleted. It would be nice if the developer of the software should develop a kind of blocker or a utility tools to clean up the files without using the copy paste or insert the file to a blank drawing page the old passion way.

Nextvkin mentioned about using quick select to select Bad Blocks and can be deleted. Please let me know more steps procedure on how to delete bad files if any that can’t be purge.

Again thank you all for sharing your ideas.

Ted (Auto-CAD 2007 user)
    Last edited by Detsenira; 2007-09-03 at 04:54 PM.

Login to Give a bone

It is next to impossible to select just the $bad block from the quick select. As soon as the mouse pointer comes close to the name of the bad block, my autocad will also crash. I am not exactly sure how to delete that block...although I wish I could!

To all of the users who suggest the AUDIT or RECOVER command...that's the cause of it. If I recover files from a previous crash, the RECOVER command is what places the $AUDIT_BAD BLOCK in the file.

I have tried, unsuccessfully to copy the file, do a save as, purge, audit, recover, quick select...and everything else my little brain could think of and nothing seems to delete the bad block. If anyone has any other suggestions other than recover or audit, I would LOVE it!

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well, if there is a block in the drawing that is called $AUDIT_BAD_BLOCK, and there are instances (insertions) of it in the drawing, you can select and erase them without using your mouse or a dialog, by typing the following at a Command: prompt -

Command: (setq a (ssget "X" '( ( 0 . "insert" ) ( 1 . "$AUDIT_BAD_BLOCK" ) ) ))

If there are any insertions of the block in the drawing, AutoCAD will respond with

Selection set: <xxx>

where "xxx" are some numbers and/or letters.

Then invoke the ERASE command, and at the "Select objects:" prompt, type !a -

Command: erase
    Select objects: !a
    n found
    Select objects:

"n" will be the number of insertions of the block. Press "Enter' after the last "Select objects" prompt, and the insertions of "$AUDIT_BAD_BLOCK" will be erased. Now you can try the PURGE command to remove the block definition itself. If $AUDIT_BAD_BLOCK is not nested inside any other blocks, this should remove it from the drawing.

Good luck,

Michael Evans
    Togawa Smith Martin Residential, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

We are also having the same trouble with no success of deleting the bad block. I renamed the block to "Trash Block" so it would no longer appear at the top of the list and doesn't give me the fatal error when trying to insert a block.

If anyone comes up with a solution, let the rest of us know!

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast