Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Properties palette causing problems in paper space?

Login to Give a bone

Question Properties palette causing problems in paper space?

This one is proving to be a problem. Once I turn on the properties palette navigating between paper and model space suddenly slows down to a crawl. It's especially evident when zooming in and out with the mouse wheel in an active viewport in paper space. Every click of the wheel takes seconds to go through, making it impossible to work in paper space. So far the only solution is closing AutoCAD, restarting and using quick properties. A temporary solution at best.

Anyone have any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Properties palette causing problems in paper space?

No ideas huh? This is turning out to be a pretty serious problem. I've tried turning off all the new feature, layer manager, quick properties, ribbon and so on but nothing helps. As soon as I turn on the properties palette viewports become unnavigable. For some reason it also seems to affect undo of all things. Before turning on the palette undo works quickly, after it hangs on every undo.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Properties palette causing problems in paper space?

Is your computer up to par or is it already taxed? You may need a faster processor, more memory or a video card upgrade. Other than a hardware issue, I don't know what could be wrong. Wait a minute...you may have alot of extra programs running in the background that could also be slowing you down. Check the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) when you are in paperspace.

Login to Give a bone

I keep my properties palette, xref palette, tool palette and project navigator open and have had no performance issues. I do know that the new layers palette sucks resources, but that's about it. Maybe try a repair, there could be something wrong with the install.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dfox5285 View Post
    Is your computer up to par or is it already taxed? You may need a faster processor, more memory or a video card upgrade. Other than a hardware issue, I don't know what could be wrong. Wait a minute...you may have alot of extra programs running in the background that could also be slowing you down. Check the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) when you are in paperspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    I keep my properties palette, xref palette, tool palette and project navigator open and have had no performance issues. I do know that the new layers palette sucks resources, but that's about it. Maybe try a repair, there could be something wrong with the install.
    Thanks guys, but as I should have pointed out at first, we have two stations running 2009, both are brand new computers bought specifically to run 2009, (intell core 2 duos with 3G ram and quatro fx 1700 vid cards with 512MB). As for programs running in the background I've tried it with all the processes I felt safe shutting down shut down with the same effect.

Strangely enough I haven't had any problems with the new layers palette, unlike most others. I'm really at a loss here. I'd try a repair but because it does it on both computers I don't think that's the problem. I'm worried it might be some kind of hardware conflict, which might be beyond my tech skills.

Login to Give a bone

This is probably a long shot, but try runnin filemon. I think that's what it's called. It's a downloaded program that cleans up file paths. I had a problem in paper space that sound like what you are experiencing. It turned out that the "add a plotter" wizard shortcut that is found where your .ctb files are was pathed to my old version, which I had deleted. So basically, it was pathed to nowhere. Once I fixed that, my performance shot way up and the problem stopped. It could just be a coincidence that you notice it when the properties palette is open. Just a thought.

Login to Give a bone

This is probably a long shot, but try runnin filemon. I think that's what it's called. It's a downloaded program that cleans up file paths. I had a problem in paper space that sound like what you are experiencing. It turned out that the "add a plotter" wizard shortcut that is found where your .ctb files are was pathed to my old version, which I had deleted. So basically, it was pathed to nowhere. Once I fixed that, my performance shot way up and the problem stopped. It could just be a coincidence that you notice it when the properties palette is open. Just a thought.
    Well, I know it's not a coincidence that it happens when the properties palette is open as I've tested it enough times and as soon as you open autocad active viewports zoom as quick as you like and no sooner do I open the palette then it all goes to hell.

However, I did get an error regarding the add a poltter wizard when I was changing paths to our server for templates, fonts and such. So, I'l have to try this out. If it works I owe you a beer.

Login to Give a bone

Negro Especial in the bottle..........with a lime.

Login to Give a bone

Negro Especial in the bottle..........with a lime.
    Well, I didn't use filemon, but what you said about file path made me think. I switched back to the default profile and the problem disapeared. We were using shared folder on the server for fonts and plot styles, so I switched them back to default in my profile and the problem disapeared. Don't really know why that would be a problem but I can live without sharing the fonts folder.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ajzoch View Post
    Well, I didn't use filemon, but what you said about file path made me think. I switched back to the default profile and the problem disapeared. We were using shared folder on the server for fonts and plot styles, so I switched them back to default in my profile and the problem disapeared. Don't really know why that would be a problem but I can live without sharing the fonts folder.
    That's wierd. I have my plot styles on the network, too. I don't have my fonts there, though. Are you sure you pathed it correctly to the network?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast