Thread: "Educational" Version

Login to Give a bone

Question "Educational" Version

My company just bought AutoCAD Architecture 2008. We requested and were told that this is a full blown version, but when the program is running, it says "EDUCATIONAL VERSION" @ the top. I'm being told that this is NOT the dreaded electronic stamp leaving, cancer spreading "student" version, but I just don't quite believe him. We are an educational facility and this version does not leave a watermark, etc. when I plot. Am I safe? I don't want to even open any existing files until I'm sure.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Educational" Version

If it is supposed to be a full version, it will not say educational version. To test, I would make a quick test print to see if you get the watermark on the printed page or not. Either way, I would double check with your reseller to verify that they indeed sent you a FULL version and NOT an educational version. They may have gotten it mixed up if they saw you were an educational facility...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Steve and Bill,

I believe there is an "Educational Version" that does not have the watermark protection like the student version does. the serial number you enter in during installation has some bearing on what version or type is displayed on the program.

The local college here has the same and there are no watermarking or anything else associated with the student version,it works just like a full blown retail version, but to be safe I'd do what Steve suggested and check for the watermark.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You're more than likely using "Autodesk Design Institute" which is for educational facilities that teach Autodesk products. The Design Institute contains just about everything under the sun and it has numerous seats for each program. Putting the "Educational Version" on the top let's you know you're using that version.

Your school probably paid less for the entire suite than a commercial customer would pay for just ACA.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Everything I see says it is ACA 08, and I know for a fact that we got a major discount on the software because of our educational status. I have done several test plots and have seen NO watermark so far. It's kind of strange though...if I say "educational version" to anyone @ AutoDesk they say it WILL have the watermark even after I fully explain the situation. However over at the AutoDesk Discussion Groups, someone replied with:
    "Yes, Educational software for schools and Student software with the watermark are two different licenses! You are fine!" I think I AM fine but it would be nice to get an honest to God 'official' answer!

Bill
    Last edited by y1topbanana73; 2007-09-26 at 06:42 PM. Reason: forgot something

Login to Give a bone

I don't remember seeing the education version piece listed on the top of the screen at the school I attended and I know we were on an educational bundle (ie we were a school and when we printed no water mark was there). It was exactly the same as the full blown version, but at a discount because it would never be used for profit making construction docs. Just a little FYI.

Login to Give a bone

Huh. Alright, first I've heard of it. Learn something new every day I guess...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

That's not to say that we did't get a full blown version of Adesk products. The way it went (If I remember right) My school bought the suite of Adesk products. Acad, ACA, AMEP, RB, RS, RMEP, Viz, 3D max and one more that I'm forgetting. We paid them a lump sum (that was super cheep) for the entire school to use (Approx 35,000+ enrolled students, but there were only about 3 or 4 programs that would have actually used it). Again, I'm not sure if it was a different version, I just know that we got some kind of super cheap educational price.