See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cable Trays...

Login to Give a bone

Default Cable Trays...

MEP Didn't have them...now it does...

I guess we don't have to rely on autodesk to do it all for us...

So I just made the family components, and now I have it...

I didn't stop there...I actually made all the families to have the required parameters to update on their own, and scaleable. Now I can align, mirror, resize, stretch, and have it recalc the ribs...or should I say tracks...

Pretty slick too...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cable Trays...

Quote Originally Posted by rtgis
    MEP Didn't have them...now it does...

I guess we don't have to rely on autodesk to do it all for us...

So I just made the family components, and now I have it...

I didn't stop there...I actually made all the families to have the required parameters to update on their own, and scaleable. Now I can align, mirror, resize, stretch, and have it recalc the ribs...or should I say tracks...

Pretty slick too...

care to share your process?

Login to Give a bone

Wow! Nice job! May I ask to share?

Login to Give a bone

That looks great if you can share it with us that would be even better. either attach it here or upload it to Revit City

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wow That looks awesome, please share if you can. Are you using the duct tool or just placing family components?

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Cable Trays...

Unfortunately IT would not allow me to share...

But I'll tell you how I did it...

4 families (a) Run (b) Corner (c) Transition (d) Level Change.

I started by creating a Generic Model, and creating individual sweeps for each profile. Center Justified, and equally spaced off center for each side of track.

Applied each Height and divide width by 2 for each side offset. Using the Base Level.

Then I created 1 track rib that was 2" from the end, and Array to 2" for end. after which I create the individual parameters for dividing the spacing of track, and locking each track to a dimension of 2" from each end.

That was the run parameters, not that difficult. Just remember to tie each component back to given parameters, length, width, height, and default dimension for dividing the spacing of track. Remember that center justification is also required for keeping ever thing together a given distance.

Next I created the Corner

I found it easier to create equal (INDIVIDUAL) tracks total of 6 equally spaced, that would increase or decrease length depending on radius, and create a profile sweep that would control the RADIUS, but I added a 1" return on each side, so I could easily control the alignments (with the other families). I added a radius parameter and an offset parameter for inner radius, and deducted the width to control the (your choice) inner or outer radius.

I then created the Level change, Profile Sweep, top and bottom return with an angle length. Remember that when you assemble the families to assign the parameters to the paths, and profile, and not the finished model. Then once again I used the array to setup the tracks.

Finally I create the transition...

The thing to remember is that you assign parameters to the path and profile, and not the model... if you set any parameters to the model, the family will fight with the finished model. Because the model doesn't have complete control over the profile, and path. remember to lock the profile thickness for material, or you may have problems updating the profile, and only one side moves, giving a thicker core. REMEMBER to create each profile individually. don't make one profile for both sides of the track, or it may crash the family. Essentially what happens, is that you over constrain the family parameters, and the family crashes, and becomes useless....the only way to fix, is to undo.

I've gotten very comfortable now creating families, and logically know what happens to each part as its fed information...which exactly what you'll have to do...

Only one family gave me problems...that was the CORNER....but I had to stop thinking in what I knew I wanted, and did what I knew was right... Don't fight it, and work with what you know... So I pass this on to you... know the limitations...but do find solutions...

When you finish the families, they should be able to update by stretch, and align or match prop.

It kills me, that I can't share...you know the drill....copyright...plus I don't want get in trouble...but that doesn't mean I will not give advice, nor share my knowledge.

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

rtgis,

Thank you for the information! I am going to give it a shot.
    Margaret

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was able to develop these same elements, though most likely not by the same means. Your techniques definitely got me started in the right direction. Thanks
    Last edited by dmb.100468; 2007-08-23 at 05:23 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I guess the next question is... Can you Share?

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, I think I've seen this behavior with other elements, but I can't remember. Anyhow here is the problem:
    When I connect my cable tray to a fitting the first rung on the fitting and on the tray is not displaying correctly (see image 1). If I activate the Thin Lines tool it looks fine (see image 2). The rungs are somehow being partially "hidden". I have to separate the elements by 4" to get the rungs to display properly. (see image 3)

I have also included the 2 elements in the .zip file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast