See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Transparent Local file creation

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Transparent Local file creation

Welcome There were some necessary changes due to 64 bit too (window class names are different). But it should work as usual. Hopefully over the next couple of months I'll finish a new version which will have a GUI. It will automatically create the shortcuts for the users and won't require copying of the executable in the project folder so it can be centrally located on a network or copied to user machines. It will make updating easier.

Login to Give a bone

I've encountered a few problems with the script. First is in the section where it checks to see if a local copy is already open. currently the code reads
    Code:
    SetTitleMatchMode 2
    IfWinExist %PARTFILE%_%username%
    it should probably be
    Code:
    SetTitleMatchMode 2
    IfWinExist, Revit, %PARTFILE%_%username%
    The reason for the change is that the first method will only return a True value if the local file is currently the active window in the Revit session. If you have windows tiled or have a family or other file open, it won't find it because it only looks in the title of the window. My proposed alternate looks for" Revit" in the title and the local file name in the text of the window. I've tested this with 2008-32bit and 2009-64bit

This may be because I'm running XP-64bit but when opening a 2009 file by specifying worksets it would always detach the file for some reason. I found that by adding the {Jrn.Command "Internal"...} line to the journal
    Code:
    Set Jrn = CrsJournalScript
    Jrn.Command "Internal" , "Show or hide recent files , ID_STARTUP_PAGE"
    Jrn.Command "Menu" , "Open an existing project , 57601 , ID_REVIT_FILE_OPEN"
    it would function correctly however the recent file window would be open. not that big a deal but an annoyance none the less.

The last one is because I'm running XP-64bit Revit 2008-32bit is installed in Program Files (x86) by default not Program Files so I just have it check both directories for those in the office that aren't on 64 bit machines.

I also added some code to mine that will check to see if the worksharing monitor is installed and not already running. then launches it. It also installs in the Program Files (x86) folder. I'd share the code for it however my version is heavily modified from David's

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the feedback. I cannot reproduce the problem you're describing with the IfWinExists command. I've tried it with having the Revit window minimized and several other apps open (maximized) and still finds the Revit project just fine. The important thing if I recall is to have SetTitleMode set to 2 so it looks at part of the name to match rather than the full name.

As to the detach and specify options, they both will open a new Revit session because they fire up Revit and supply a custom journal to run. Only the regular local open will look to see if Revit is already running. You cannot run a journal in an already open session of Revit with AHK. I would be very glad if I could find a way to do that but it does not seem possible except through an API command that can run journals.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The ifwinexist is a very good catch actually, what he's talking about Dave is when you have windows tiled inside of Revit the title of Revit will just be Revit Architecture 2009. This can happen very easily if someone saves to central with the windows tiled. I've tested it and it works great. Thanks Randy.

Login to Give a bone

Ahh thanks David. I understand the particular issue better now. And thanks again Randy! I'll make updates later and post again. Multple eyes are better than 2

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    As to the detach and specify options, they both will open a new Revit session because they fire up Revit and supply a custom journal to run. Only the regular local open will look to see if Revit is already running. You cannot run a journal in an already open session of Revit with AHK. I would be very glad if I could find a way to do that but it does not seem possible except through an API command that can run journals.
    What I meant was that when I selected the Specify Workset option. It would run the journal and go through the workset dialog box. however when it was finished opening the file it would be detached instead of just a local copy of the central file.

your code
    Code:
    my code
    Code:
    Jrn.Command "Internal" , "Show or hide recent files , ID_STARTUP_PAGE"
    I haven't tested to see if the problem occurs in 2008 however this fix wouldn't work in 2008 either because 2008 doesn't have the recent file page and as a result the journal is different.

I'm using MEP 2009 64bit Service Pack 3 on a Windows XPx64 machine

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again Randy. My apologies, I was trying to read too fast and didn't fully comprehend the issue. I can confirm that the unexpected detaching seems to occur on 64 bit Revit in 2009. In 2010 it seems to work during my testing. I'll try your tip and see if I can get the desired result. I might try adding a line to the journal to close the recent files window again at the end. That might solve the problem. Thanks a lot for this solution as I didn't think there was any! In fact I added it to the Known Issues section of the ReadMe text file. Will post back as soon as I get a chance.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Transparent Local file creation

thanks for posting. i will be using this in the near future for our Revit transition.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Courtney, you're not allowed to use it

Login to Give a bone

It is my understanding that Revit 2010 now creates it's own local copy. Is it using the same functionality as this macro?

Just curious, we have been using your script for a while now...Many thanks!

Spivey