See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Transparent Local file creation

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Transparent Local file creation

You're welcome These might seem like trivial things, but they do save time over the long haul and , most importantly, help solve major problems down the line.

With AHK you can send keystrokes so in theory, you could get Revit to launch the Open File dialog, find the file you want and set the option to select the worksets to open, all without user input. Then the user would be prompted with the workset dialog. But since to date we have not had to do this (and if we needed to, we could open all and then close what we don't need), I'd rather not change it from it's current functionality since this way there's no user input required.

I'm curious....what exctly are you trying to do with the "drag and drop" you mentioned? I didn't think it was possible to integrate VBA into Revit....thanks for posting!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, this kind of stuff is pretty important over the long run, and we're testing and proving what needs to change about the system of Worksharing itself in some ways and trying to save ourselves time and energy in other ways, but I sometimes wonder what we miss when training our staff when it all happens behind the scenes. I guess running VBA "over" Revit is incorrect terminology. This is sneaky supergeek stuff I shouldn't be messing with, but I can't help it, so I've been monkeying with Journalling (VBA) to do some automated tasks, and I am looking for a Windows based program that can kick on, grab my cursor, pick the *.txt and drag it over the Shortcut to the Revit.exe, or some kind of combo batch commands that have the same effect so that this can be run through Scheduled Tasks at off hours... Any ideas?

As far as needing to Specify worksets, this is critical to our workflow since we use them to control the Load/Unload function of our Linked Revit files, total weight of these is excessively hard on even a 4GB machine with a super processor and a great network card to manage (sometimes selecting to Open the file with All Worksets can take in excess of 10 minutes). Closing the unnecessary Linked RVT Worksets is a huge time saver (if it takes 10 minutes with all the Worksets, it takes 3 without the Linked RVT's loading), and being able to open only the one you need to get to work is incredibly effective (Anectdotal example: I need to see only the shell today to work on the Interiors partitions, but not the site file, nor the adjacent building, and I can wait to Open my Furniture workset until after I finish pushing walls around since I know I haven't yet placed any furnishings in the area I am assigned to work on today).

LC
    Last edited by echo; 2007-08-15 at 10:50 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hi David, have you really never needed the opening selected worksets? I mean, i saw the size of some of your projects, and the divisions of areas A-G or more...wouldn't you place an area to a workset? Just in the one job I did, which wasn't nearly as large in square footage, I took advantage of selecting worksets, and it does increase performance a great deal.

anyways, take care, and hopefully when I finally get registered, I will still be able to sleep in the venetian with you guys....but, maybe I am destined to be seperated from you guys? We'll see...

Ciao!

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    You're welcome These might seem like trivial things, but they do save time over the long haul and , most importantly, help solve major problems down the line.

With AHK you can send keystrokes so in theory, you could get Revit to launch the Open File dialog, find the file you want and set the option to select the worksets to open, all without user input. Then the user would be prompted with the workset dialog. But since to date we have not had to do this (and if we needed to, we could open all and then close what we don't need), I'd rather not change it from it's current functionality since this way there's no user input required.

I'm curious....what exctly are you trying to do with the "drag and drop" you mentioned? I didn't think it was possible to integrate VBA into Revit....thanks for posting!

Login to Give a bone

I really haven't bothered as of yet. Performance has been pretty decent, but we're currently working on a large high school additions % renovations and I think we'll have to do something as it's getting pretty slow to work in it. I guess then I'll re-think of some further enhancements to the script.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino
    The way the script works, it has to reside in the Central file folder. You can create shortcuts to different exe files for different projects and run them on startup.
    Thank you! very helpful...I will post if I get to edit your script.
    nicholas.

Login to Give a bone

I've been tinkering with the AHK and the GUI maker you suggested. Right now I'm trying to build a gui to run some project creation/startup tasks. Currently, we have a little cheat sheet we send to project teams to help organize and set up a new project. it's a questionaire that helps organize info into a convenient place, such as proj. #, name, location, client, sheet sizes, and a host of other info. It helps to choose the right template and correctly set up a project.

I'm trying to script the gui so that the questionnaire is the gui, and based on the responses it will automatically set up and build the new project, choose the correct template, supply the project info, create, name, and place it into the right folder in the directory on the server with the appropriate structure, etc. all transparent to the initiator, hopefully ensuring some sort of standard naming convention, etc. it's going to be a long road, but it looks like it could be useful...

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, you should be able to. We currently just keep a folder structure on the server and just copy/paste (kinda low tech, but works). More than a gain in speed, I think the advantages are due to gains in consistency, which you can spend endless hours trying to enforce

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cstanley
    I've been tinkering with the AHK and the GUI maker you suggested. Right now I'm trying to build a gui to run some project creation/startup tasks. Currently, we have a little cheat sheet we send to project teams to help organize and set up a new project. it's a questionaire that helps organize info into a convenient place, such as proj. #, name, location, client, sheet sizes, and a host of other info. It helps to choose the right template and correctly set up a project.

I'm trying to script the gui so that the questionnaire is the gui, and based on the responses it will automatically set up and build the new project, choose the correct template, supply the project info, create, name, and place it into the right folder in the directory on the server with the appropriate structure, etc. all transparent to the initiator, hopefully ensuring some sort of standard naming convention, etc. it's going to be a long road, but it looks like it could be useful...
    Curious: Do you replace the *.INI or change the Settings>Options?

LC

Login to Give a bone

Indeed, with AHK you can create a simple script to launch Revit and run a journal file. Unzip the attached and place journal.txt in the root of your C drive. If you have AHK, you can run the AHK file and if not, run the compiled EXE. As you can see, the script is very simple (open in notepad).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Dave!
    LC

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast