Thread: Frozen layer still displays in viewport

Login to Give a bone

Default Frozen layer still displays in viewport

The problem is this.

I create a model of several assemble parts. Block the model and place that block on a unique layer. xref the drawing with the block into a master drawing. In the master drawing I freeze in the viewport the unique layer in order to hide the block. It will disapper immediately. I do some editing in the viewport, then blink, and suddenly the block is showing again. I can even select it, snap, etc. At this point the layer still shows as 'frozen'. The plot preview does not include the frozen layer.

this it make editing difficult or at least really annoying as I repeated use the freeze command, which removes the block from visibility ... for a while.

Any clues?

visretain=1
    -

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Frozen layer still displays in viewport

Quote Originally Posted by richardronan View Post
    The problem is this.

I create a model of several assemble parts. Block the model and place that block on a unique layer. xref the drawing with the block into a master drawing. In the master drawing I freeze in the viewport the unique layer in order to hide the block. It will disapper immediately. I do some editing in the viewport, then blink, and suddenly the block is showing again. I can even select it, snap, etc. At this point the layer still shows as 'frozen'. The plot preview does not include the frozen layer.

this it make editing difficult or at least really annoying as I repeated use the freeze command, which removes the block from visibility ... for a while.

Any clues?

visretain=1
    -
    I think it may be because your block elements are on a layer. I ALWAYS create blocks on layer 0 and set everthing to ByLayer or ByBlock, depending on what I need (usually ByLayer though). That way, they take on the characteristics of whatever layer I put them on. Try that.

Login to Give a bone

Placing all the elements on layer 0 is a problematic technique because my blocks contain multiple elements with differing visual characteristics. This technique would require that I block each individual group of linework. By default the visibility of the elements in a block is supposed to be 'by block' but since this is not an accessible variable I am not sure how to enforce this rule.

Login to Give a bone

Just to clarify so maybe you can get more help here...
    Please verify:

You are freezing xref layers while in another drawing?

Are you freezing the layers through a viewport or just freezing them in the standard layer dialog?

You have a model drawing made up of blocks you have created, that you xref into another drawing?

All your "blocks" are drawn using the same layers but defined on unique layers which gets xrefed into another drawing, and you freeze the "unique" layers through the xref layer dialog?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe more info would help, or maybe you could post a small example of your file set up?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry I am not clear. This is the situ.

I draw a model with parts in multiple layers in drawing 'A'
    (for example, floor, wall roof) block the model(Call it Block-A) because it is a standard configuration which get reproduced accross multiple applications.

I then place the block on a unique layer, in order to facilitate view generation.(Call it 'LAY-Block-A)

Drawing 'B' x-refs drawing 'A'

in Drawing B I need to look at the model without Block-A so I freeze layer A|Block-A. The display no longer shows Block-A and its contents. After an indeteminant time Block-A will suddenly reappear.

This behavior happens in both model space and in a viewport, but it only seems to happen if a drawing becomes quite large. Or a block contains multiple solid objects.

Note that this display bug does not seem to cause problems with printing or print preview.

Thanks!

-R