Thread: masking region in 2d family

Login to Give a bone

Default masking region in 2d family

We were trying to modify the return diffuser family so that it masks the ceiling that it is mounted in. The family is a series of model lines drawn on the face of the ceiling.

I can create a masking region, but if I set it to the same plane as the ceiling, it doesn't mask the ceiling. If I set it to a workplane below the ceiling, it masks the ceiling, but it also masks the lines of the family that I want to see.

It seems that the problem is that a masking region will not mask a surface pattern if it is drawn in the same plane as the surface. I would like it better if masking regions would draw with some type of display order to show the lines from the family that are draw in the same plane, but hide the model elements in the same plane.

Thoughts? Is this the case or am I missing something?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: masking region in 2d family

Quote Originally Posted by sfaust
    We were trying to modify the return diffuser family so that it masks the ceiling that it is mounted in. The family is a series of model lines drawn on the face of the ceiling.

I can create a masking region, but if I set it to the same plane as the ceiling, it doesn't mask the ceiling. If I set it to a workplane below the ceiling, it masks the ceiling, but it also masks the lines of the family that I want to see.

It seems that the problem is that a masking region will not mask a surface pattern if it is drawn in the same plane as the surface. I would like it better if masking regions would draw with some type of display order to show the lines from the family that are draw in the same plane, but hide the model elements in the same plane.

Thoughts? Is this the case or am I missing something?
    If you draw your masking region and model lines on a plane 1/4" or so down from the ceiling, you will get what you are looking for. And if you set the model lines to not show in elevation at all, then you want get the fat lines at the diffuser in section and interior elevation. Kludgy, but it works. And display order sure would be nice.

Gordon