Thread: Automatic Wipeout for Blocks

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Automatic Wipeout for Blocks

Summary: The ability to automatically create and turn on/off a wipeout outlines for blocks.

Description: I would like blocks to have an option to turn on or automatically create a wipeout outline, similar to a text background.

How Used: It would be very helpful if you could select an option for a block that would trace the outline of a block and be able to turn on or off a wipeout. Lets say you have a couple equipment blocks and one sits in front of the other. Instead of exploding and triming the equipment block, you can just send it behind the other piece of equipment.

Feature Affinity: Blocks

Submitted By: Brad Sanada on July 20, 2007

Default Re: Automatic Wipeout for Blocks

I Like this idea, however I have a query. Lets say for argument's sake that you have a thick line (line weight/polyline width) and then place a block that looks like this |><| on it. At the pointed section in the middle you don't want the thick line to show. How would you propose to hide this part of the thick line which is outside of the main body of the block.Block Wipeout.jpg

dynamic block w/ visibility states, and rectangular wipeout to the bounding box.

Suppose bounding box is in option. The problem I have with a bounding box is that when you have non rectangular shape as per my sketch below there might be something inside the bounding box but outside the block body. This could probably be overcome by using draw order though and putting the item above the bounding box, But then what if the block needs to cover something. the bounding box is part of the block. So how do you make it that goes under the block but over the bounding box.BOUNDING BOX.PNG. Think there should be an option to use a bounding box or up until block body for the wipe out. This should resolve the issue for both instances
    Last edited by wrmarshall; 2017-01-13 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrmarshall View Post
    Suppose bounding box is in option. The problem I have with a bounding box is that when you have non rectangular shape as per my sketch below there might be something inside the bounding box but outside the block body. This could probably be overcome by using draw order though and putting the item above the bounding box, But then what if the block needs to cover something. the bounding box is part of the block. So how do you make it that goes under the block but over the bounding box.BOUNDING BOX.PNG. Think there should be an option to use a bounding box or up until block body for the wipe out. This should resolve the issue for both instances
    Well I wouldn't use a polyline with a width for this, but us a solid hatch fill where you can control the shape of the end of the line.
    See attached new block drawing with a rectangular wipe out built-in below the block geometry (which seems to mimic your desired block look)

Hope this helps..
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict

That's the traditional way to do it with piping and instrumentation diagrams. Getting through a simple change as using color (or plot style) rather than a physical line width is so difficult, the only time I've been successful is when I was given the opportunity to put together project standards from scratch. Which is amazing given the number of times I've heard "I want it to be thicker when plotted to 11x17, but full size plots are OK as they are."