See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change viewport label

Login to Give a bone

Default change viewport label

I think i had figured this out before, but for the life of me I can't remember now. Can someone remind me how to change Viewport Labels (Font, Size etc.). I looked in the Family Browser and under Settings/Annotations/Loaded Tags but couldn't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Michael

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: change viewport label

They are families. Check under the Revit Library for the default ones, they have to be modified in the family editor then imported into the project.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the tip, Robert. Unfortunately my localized library doesn't contain any "View Titles", as they seem to be called. When i loaded one from the international Library into my drawing, it did show up in the project browser, but doesn't show up in the type selector when i select a viewport on a sheet.

When i open the family directly it has a family type that would be translated "Show Title" (very strange name for a category it seems), is this the same in English? Again the default View Titles of my localized template aren't listed in the family browser. I wonder if this is a problem with the localization. Do you know of a way to extract the view titles loaded in a project, so i could save out the original ones and edit them?

EDIT: I did try "save to library". Again, the default "View Title" families are not available in the list for export.
    Last edited by comhasse; 2007-08-28 at 02:29 PM.

Login to Give a bone

In the Project Browser, under Families - Annotation Symbols, I have several View Titles, if I right click on them there is an "edit" option, also a "save" option. Was that how you tried to edit them?

In the English version they are under "Annotation Symbols", I see no Show Title category or similar.

Login to Give a bone

FWIW I also worked this out ages ago and then forgot how to do it

I reworked it out just before going on holiday and so am again a bit hazy but I think I managed to change the Viewport Title fonts like this.

Open from your Annotations folder within your Imperial or Metric Library the family called View Title.rfa (there are other related families with other options but I think this is the default one).

Once that family is open, highlight the label you want to change font/style etc and click the Properties button, then Edit/New and Duplicate and create a new named Label style with your choice of Font, which can be chosen within the Properties dialogue.

When the family looks like you want it Save As... out and/or Load it into your appropriate project, if that is Open.

Now in a drawing sheet highlight a viewport, click Properties and Edit/New and Duplicate, create a new named Type, and within the Properties dialogue click on the Value called 'View Title' related to the Graphics Parameter called 'Title' (it's top of the list) and you should see your newly created family on the drop down list.
    Select it and that should now make the View Title take on the desired font.

There may be a tidier way to do it but that seems to work for me.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post
    FWIW I also worked this out ages ago and then forgot how to do it

I reworked it out just before going on holiday and so am again a bit hazy but I think I managed to change the Viewport Title fonts like this.

Open from your Annotations folder within your Imperial or Metric Library the family called View Title.rfa (there are other related families with other options but I think this is the default one).

Once that family is open, highlight the label you want to change font/style etc and click the Properties button, then Edit/New and Duplicate and create a new named Label style with your choice of Font, which can be chosen within the Properties dialogue.

When the family looks like you want it Save As... out and/or Load it into your appropriate project, if that is Open.

Now in a drawing sheet highlight a viewport, click Properties and Edit/New and Duplicate, create a new named Type, and within the Properties dialogue click on the Value called 'View Title' related to the Graphics Parameter called 'Title' (it's top of the list) and you should see your newly created family on the drop down list.
    Select it and that should now make the View Title take on the desired font.

There may be a tidier way to do it but that seems to work for me.
    This is how I did it too.

Login to Give a bone

William, I greatly appreciate your help, this worked.

One of the things that was confusing me was that in the German template the family is called "Sheet Annotation", only its types are then called "View", so i was looking in the wrong place.

Then i was also expecting several types named "No Title", "Title Only" and "Title w/ Line", because these are the options in the type selector. Turns out, these three options are really hard-coded into the family category and appear automatically for each family type defined. (The note in the view label template kind of hints to that too, "delete the placeholder line...", i guess you can't change the lineweight etc. either.)

As far as the Category goes, i switched my Revit to English temporarily and the Category is "View Titles", so there seems to be a blatant mistranslation in the German Localization. It's still a bit inconsistent, because the help file talks about "Viewport Labels" for the same thing as far as i can tell.

Anyway thanks again, this was driving me crazy.

EDIT: Now I get it, the type selector shows the view familiy's type, not the viewport label's. The view family's parameters control in turn the display options of the viewport labels family assigned to the view.
    Last edited by comhasse; 2007-08-30 at 07:55 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I don't seem to be able to edit/open these as a family normally would from in side a project. Not to mention I accidentally duplicated it, and can't delete the double from my project now.

Is the only way to edit the graphics of these to open them directly from the original family file?

Thanks,
    Wesley

Login to Give a bone

As far as I know you have to go to the relevant original family file to alter the font.

Not sure which you have a duplicate of but in any case it should be listed in the browser under Families->Annotation Symbols and I think you should be able to delete anything listed by right-clicking on the name and choosing Delete from the shortcut menu.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input...doing what you describe, but "delete" is grayed out.
    Wesley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast