Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modeling residential style roofs

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Modeling residential style roofs

Typically my office works on standard commerical style buildings (masonry, flat roofs, ect..), but my current project has a very residential feel to it and I am having some issue modeling the roof. Visually I have been able to model the roof so it looks correct, but I am not starting to second guess what I have done so far. My main concearn is how much of the modeled rood & structure I will be able to use in sections & details.

1. Should I model the roof as seperate elements: when I model floors I have a structural floor (conc. slab or conc on metal deck) and a seperate finish floor on top pf the structural floor. Should I do the same with roofs. Have a structural roof the thickness of the trusses or framing, and a seperate finish roof that would incluse the roof sheathing and finish. This would allow me to let my finish roof over hang the structural roof creating the proper drip edge in section. I could then apply a roof fascia to the structural roof and the finish roof (sheathing & shingle) would be ablove the fascia.

2. Rakes at gabel ends: Typically the rake at a Gable end is much thinner in section than the main roof structure. The main structure may be 2x12 with the rake is frames out of 2x4 or 2x6. Should the rake portion of the gable end be modeled seperately and then locked to the main roof?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Modeling residential style roofs

The attached image is of a secional view where a roof changes slope from 6/12 to 12/12. Is there anyway that I can join / clean up the model so the roof structures intestect cleanly?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

here is another. Below are a couple of images of a 3D section taken at a roof dormer. The first image is small scale to give you an idea of what the roof looks like and the second image is a blow up of the problem area.

As you can see in the blow up, the dormer roof & fascai project into the structure of the main rood below. In elevation and 3D views things look perfectly fine, but it is a different story when I cut a cross section. Can I get the dormer to sit on top of the main roof below it and not project into it.

Login to Give a bone

Use the join roof tool for the dormer problem. That will join the dormer roof to the face of the mainspan roof and get rid of the chunk of roof you are showing in your image.

As far as the split pitch, use a roof by extrusion. That will keep the roof as one and make this a smooth transition. Only problem is you don't have the convenience of a footprint roof with the pitch and wall association. But if you design isn't going to change much, then this should work fine. If you do stick with a footprint roof, just use the edit cut profile tool in sections and any detailing tools to help alleviate the visual problem.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ford347 View Post
    Use the join roof tool for the dormer problem. That will join the dormer roof to the face of the mainspan roof and get rid of the chunk of roof you are showing in your image.

As far as the split pitch, use a roof by extrusion. That will keep the roof as one and make this a smooth transition. Only problem is you don't have the convenience of a footprint roof with the pitch and wall association. But if you design isn't going to change much, then this should work fine. If you do stick with a footprint roof, just use the edit cut profile tool in sections and any detailing tools to help alleviate the visual problem.

Hope this helps.

Josh
    For some reason the join roof toold has not been working to well for me, but I will give it another go. Also, I cannot model this roof by extrusion. It is actually a 4 sided hip

Login to Give a bone

I made some pic for you, then I read your message about the hip. But I'll post them anyway. I've also posted a picture addressing the join tool. If I come up with something for the split pitch, I'll post it. Got to go to mtg. now though. Hope this helps some.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

Here is a method to smooth out the split pitch using footprint roofs and an in-place family. Doesnt' take a lot of time and gets it looking good.

Josh

Login to Give a bone

Here is a method to smooth out the split pitch using footprint roofs and an in-place family. Doesnt' take a lot of time and gets it looking good.

Josh
    That is a pretty good solution, I will give it a try.

Login to Give a bone

I made some pic for you, then I read your message about the hip. But I'll post them anyway. I've also posted a picture addressing the join tool. If I come up with something for the split pitch, I'll post it. Got to go to mtg. now though. Hope this helps some.

Josh
    My problem is that to get the look I want I need to burry the dormer roof into the main roof. I want my gable to die right into the main roof. I don't want that little peice of eave / facia that you show.

So far the only way I can get it to work is to model my dormer roof like you show, then use an implace roof void to cut the dormer back.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tim.101799 View Post
    My problem is that to get the look I want I need to burry the dormer roof into the main roof. I want my gable to die right into the main roof. I don't want that little peice of eave / facia that you show.

So far the only way I can get it to work is to model my dormer roof like you show, then use an implace roof void to cut the dormer back.
    You can draw a footprint roof similar to the method used for a dutch gable. Draw a roof and use slope arrows to define the slope, then join roof geometry. Check out the pictures and see if that's what your after.

Josh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast