Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACAD Arch. or Revit Arch to use with 3DS MAX?

Login to Give a bone

Default ACAD Arch. or Revit Arch to use with 3DS MAX?

I am trying to figure out whether I should go with Autocad Architecture 2008 or Revit Architecture 2008 to re-create buildings (mostly house floor plans) to then export for rendering in 3DS MAX for visualization.

Between these two tools, which would be the most flexible in terms of design / re-creation of the floor plans? Although one tool may be more flexible, how about the learning curve? I have some experience with AutoCAD but not enough where learning a new tool would be bad.

How do these two products handle cabinets and custom stairs? I will need to create a library of custom cabinets (doors and drawers styles). Can both these tools enable me to do that fairly easily?

and lastly, which one plays better (so to speak) with 3DS MAX?

(I presume there are posts about this around somewhere but thus far I haven't been able to find them. If these questions have been answered before, could you please point me to those threads

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACAD Arch. or Revit Arch to use with 3DS MAX?

I can only speak of the Revit side. I worked for years with an AutoCAD to Max workflow, then switched for the last few years to a Revit to Max workflow and love it. I've found Revit to be a dream for most modeling tasks and really only a challenge for organic forms. If you search in the Revit forums and Revit Gallery you'll see lots of additional information. I've also posted several examples of Revit+Max work in the gallery which might help you.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hello
    I am am working with ADT and MAX work flow. NOw i am exploring the the strengths of parametric modelling and data base capabilities of Revit Arch.
    I have attended Autodesk Open Door Event for Revit Arch. The trainer was of the opinion that AoutoCAD Architecture adn Revit Arch in combination is the best for architectural practice and 3D max for visualisation. Is it advisible to completely replace ACAD Arch with Revit? What is your opinion Andre?

Login to Give a bone

We have completely switched from AutoCAD to Revit. It took us a few years to get everyone over but as of this year we no longer install AutoCAD on new machines and everyone is using Revit. We have not found any limitations in our practice. Yes, there are "work arounds" to accomplish some things, but they're possibile. If you're using ADT plus Max only for visualiztion than you'll find that Revit creates more faces, since it doesn't allow zero thickness objects, but I don't really notice a major performance hit in Max. You'll find a few threads here that talk about how to clean up and streamline the link to Max.

Personally, some of the biggests reason for me to only use Revit include the history of edited objects, when you're modeling complex forms, you keep a history of all the solids and voids you use. Then the curtain wall tool, very versitile and powerful. And then the very simple cleanup of walls and floors... you can join them to get clean edges on export but they're still seperate elements.

Once you switch, you can't go back.

Login to Give a bone

I am not completly agree a combination of Revit and max , I am sure Revit is strong modeling tool But the work flow with max is comparitable with ACAD Architecture

Login to Give a bone

so do you need to use one of these two programs to create models in max design? is autocad arch only for 2d plans or making mock ups in 3d?

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by comical_wenger View Post
    so do you need to use one of these two programs to create models in max design? is autocad arch only for 2d plans or making mock ups in 3d?
    You don't need either to create models in Max, it's just easier to create construction documents from ADT or Revit. The question is how well does the model import into Max.

Personally, I couldn't care less if the imported model comes in with exponentially more faces than it needs, as long as it comes in with the geometry intact. You can optimize your model once you bring it in.

My $.02

Login to Give a bone

I've used Autocad, adt and now revit to import archictectural models into Max. Revit is by far the best solution so far.

Adt was better than solid modling in Autocad, but it was buggy and got slow on larger files.

Max is great for modeling amorphic shapes, but revit is superior for architectural elements.

I haven't noticed any more faces than autocad created.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: ACAD Arch. or Revit Arch to use with 3DS MAX?

I have a question about Revit to Max. Currently when I bring in a Revit model everything works well and looks great. When i try to animate a door it rotates the whole frame and all. What is the best way to do this? I tried making the Revit door a nested family where the panel is separate but both in the same family. That doesnt seem to work. I can do a detach the panel from the frame in max but then i might to pick all faces. Any suggestions?

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mbeham View Post
    I have a question about Revit to Max. Currently when I bring in a Revit model everything works well and looks great. When i try to animate a door it rotates the whole frame and all. What is the best way to do this? I tried making the Revit door a nested family where the panel is separate but both in the same family. That doesnt seem to work. I can do a detach the panel from the frame in max but then i might to pick all faces. Any suggestions?
    It may be that 3ds imports these assemblies as groups. With the door assembly selected, go to the Groups drop-down and select "Open". This should allow you to manipulate the door by itself.

If this doesn't work, let us know and we can try something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast