See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Isometric Dimension.....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Isometric Dimension.....

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Drawings (anything) created with an educational version of acad plot with a banner around the edges - "This was created with an education version of AutoCAD" - or similar.

If that drawing or any part of it is included in any drawing created with ANY version of acad the same banner is displayed and in any subsequent drawings that acquire anything from that drawing. In other words, it infects anything it comes in contact with therefor it's a virus though that's not what AutoDesk call it (of course).

Wow, I am sooo glad you mentoned this. I had no idea!

How did you know that the drawing was in the education version without bringing it up? I would have brought the drawing up wthout ever knowing it and it would have been to late. Or, maybe he mentioned it and I did not catch it?

Login to Give a bone

A2009 is kind enough to warn you.

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eldridge View Post
    Wow, I am sooo glad you mentoned this. I had no idea!

How did you know that the drawing was in the education version without bringing it up? I would have brought the drawing up wthout ever knowing it and it would have been to late. Or, maybe he mentioned it and I did not catch it?
    I open Education version drawings all the time. As long as you don't extract any objects and insert them in other files there is no chance of contamination. The EDU stamp does not jump to other files or infect your installation in any way. Just don't use the EDU files for anything other than in that file and nothing happens to the rest of your drawings.

For several releases now two different warnings appear letting you know it has is an EDU drawing file.
    Last edited by Richard.Kent; 2009-02-03 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added words

Login to Give a bone

Er. Have you been taught the basics of isometric projection?
    Your drawing should look similar to the solid model I showed earlier.

I suggest you do some reading. This could be a starting point.
    Hi, Thank you for helpiing me. I do know the basics of isometric. The only thing that bothers me is:
    How can I project the drawing correctly if it is not completely square. Do I still keep the axes at 30 degree angles? How do I go about this?

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lenesmit View Post
    Hi, Thank you for helpiing me. I do know the basics of isometric. The only thing that bothers me is:
    How can I project the drawing correctly if it is not completely square. Do I still keep the axes at 30 degree angles? How do I go about this?
    You draw a rectangle around each view that just contains the objects, now project the rectangles to an iso. Now using dims along the x and y axis (for top view) locate each circle, arc, etc.

Yes you would keep the axes in the standard angles, a vertical line and two others at 120 degrees from that vertical.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

The OP presumably wants to pass a course and get a certificate. If the course requires the ability to draw in isometric then the OP has a rational reason to learn isometric projection.
    The fact that the course syllabus includes what might well be considered obsolete requirements is not the OP's fault.
    Fine, please take my challenge and post your solution.
    I think part of an education is to argue with the professor pointing out in a professional manner with supporting evidence how the assignment is unreasonable in this case.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JD Mather View Post
    Fine, please take my challenge and post your solution.
    Why? It's irrelevant to your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Mather View Post
    I think part of an education is to argue with the professor pointing out in a professional manner with supporting evidence how the assignment is unreasonable in this case.
    And what impact would that have on the assessment board?

You take a maths exam.
    Question 1 is 2 + 2 = ?
    You prove that a^2 = b^2 + c^2
    You get no marks.

Login to Give a bone

Isometric projections vs a 'isometric view' of a 3d object are not the same thing. Depending on the situation, and the purpose, either may be the appropriate solution. I can generate a 2d representation of a 3d object using ortho views in either 1st or 3rd order, isometric projections, trimetric projections, cavalier, cabinet, or a rotated view of a 3d model in CAD.

All are valid methods, and each can and does have a useful place. To say that isometric drafting is no longer needed in these oh so modern days, is to either fail to understand the differences, or to believe that your lack of need for isometric projections is a universal condition, or that solid modeling is the end-all and be-all purpose of CAD.

My job, and my role as a drafter/designer/CAD wonk is not to model. My purpose at work is to communicate design intent. To accomplish that, I may model a design element, I may create a cabinet projection, or I may do a plan view. 3d modeling has a place, but is not of necessity the best method to communicate with. To expand the parameters for this discussion a bit, think of a caricature sketch vs a photograph. Each conveys a certain amount of information, and the photo (presuming it has not been photoshopped) can be considered to be the more technically accurate representation. But the pen and ink sketch leaps out and communicates much more rapidly and effectively in many cases. Why else would so many editorial cartoonist go with that style of drawing instead of photographs?

In particular, I applaud the instructor for the object he has requested an isometric drawing of. Anyone who completes that correctly will have learned a great deal about how to draw in isometric projection. I'd like to see my junior people at work take a shot at it..... Much more of a learning experience that a simple cube or stack or rectangular shapes.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2009-02-05 at 12:47 AM. Reason: sp

Login to Give a bone

Here's a picture.

I've changed the shape of the webs because they wouldn't be cast like the original.
    I've left out the blend rads because adding them would lose visual information (edges).
    Also, in each case, it's easier this way.

And, yes, it was much quicker and easier to create a solid model than to draw the isometric view.
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2010-08-31 at 10:31 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Isometric Dimension.....

Thanks all you guys for all the help. It took me hours to complete this. Please let me know if it is correct.

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast