Thread: Managing a multi-linked arch model

Login to Give a bone

Question Managing a multi-linked arch model

I'm not sure where the fault lies on this one.

We have an architect that is using Revit to produce their models, and they are linking all sorts of models to each other. So what are we supposed to do when we download the files as a consultant?

Even though the architect is apparently using the relative option when making the link, the paths in the files are hard-coded paths. So how are we supposed to use their model if we decide to use RMEP? We certainly need to "tweak" the model for the links, at the moment, just to get good exports (see here), much less using the model somehow in RMEP.

Even more odd... when I change one of the links, it doesn't display our path at all, but one from their office, yet the model appears. If I save the host model and open it again, it complains about that link once again, and if I respecify the same location I did a moment ago, it will display our path, but not relative. It is another hard-coded path. But another model acts the way I expect the first time I relink.

Adding to the issues is the fact that some of the linked models are missing, and each model that is there is linking each other.

Groan

Is the architect flying way off-base?
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Managing a multi-linked arch model

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post

We have an architect that is using Revit to produce their models, and they are linking all sorts of models to each other. So what are we supposed to do when we download the files as a consultant?

Even though the architect is apparently using the relative option when making the link, the paths in the files are hard-coded paths. So how are we supposed to use their model if we decide to use RMEP? We certainly need to "tweak" the model for the links, at the moment, just to get good exports (see here), much less using the model somehow in RMEP.

Even more odd... when I change one of the links, it doesn't display our path at all, but one from their office, yet the model appears. If I save the host model and open it again, it complains about that link once again, and if I respecify the same location I did a moment ago, it will display our path, but not relative. It is another hard-coded path. But another model acts the way I expect the first time I relink.

Adding to the issues is the fact that some of the linked models are missing, and each model that is there is linking each other.

Groan

I had the same problem, though our project only had one link in it. Every time I would reload the link it would try to access the architects path to the file. I just bit the bullet and respecified, but it was a real pain.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

Another thing that I'm struggling with: Unless I open the model detaching it from central, there is no way to edit the links. And if I do that, is the copy/monitor process hosed?
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Groan

Because we work with so many different Architects, and each one works a bit differently, we need to massage each file we receive in order to fit in to our work flow. Briefly, this is the process we use.

-Receive the files from the Arch/Struct or who ever.
    -Open each file detaching from central and then remove *all* links, including cad, revit whatever.
    -Strip out all excess renderings, drafting views, section views, basically just clean out the cruft so the link file loads faster (you did keep a separate copy of the Arch files, right?)
    -Saveas using the options to save as to central. (Since the architects file was a central it must remain a central file)
    -Create your project file from your template.
    -Link in the Arch file Origin to Origin and monitor the levels and copy the rooms.
    -Link in other project files as needed.

So far we have had no problems with this process. Because we re-set all the links in the project file, paths are not an issue.

We found a document on AUGI outlining much of this and have added a few steps of our own. Here is ours, please note that it's a work in progress.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info. This is pretty much what I was afraid of: far too much massage. I finally had enough customization in place in AutoCAD to simply drop a new file from the architect into the folder, and everything was fine when we opened our drawings. We didn't need to massage the architect's .dwg files at all.

Now, with Revit, it feels like I'm back in the 1990's. <sigh>
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info. This is pretty much what I was afraid of: far too much massage. I finally had enough customization in place in AutoCAD to simply drop a new file from the architect into the folder, and everything was fine when we opened our drawings. We didn't need to massage the architect's .dwg files at all.

Now, with Revit, it feels like I'm back in the 1990's. <sigh>

I got a solution to that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    I got a solution to that!
    You forgot beer-thirty on that flow diagram, mister!
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is a late response, but thought it worthwhile. We have inquiries from many firms (arch and engineering) on recommended practices for linking consultant files, and we advise for each discipline to take on the responsibility of prepping their transfer file themselves. They are advised to detach from central, audit, purge unused families, delete extranious views and prepare only necessary links PRIOR to handing the update file over. This minimizes the time spent by the receiving party to have to comb through everything, and allows for the sending party to make decisions about what is necessary info to impart to their consultants, rather than the consultant trying to guess at it.

The feedback has been very positive, firms are developing standard procedures to prep their transfer files and there is just less frustration, all around.