Thread: Callout in section and section in plan annotation

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Callout in section and section in plan annotation

I'm trying to figure out how to create detail views of my eaves and ridges, etc. in my roof plan. So, I want to show where the typical details occur on the roof plan (an annotation that looks like a section mark with no arrow and a horizontal tail), but has the corresponding detail view showing the section cut through the eave, etc.
    Any ideas/help? I thought that my callouts in section views were showing the desired annotations in plans, but I may have changed a setting because I didn't need it at the time or for all callouts?
    Anyone have any idea what I'm trying to do?

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Callout in section and section in plan annotation

If you use detail callouts at the eave/ridge in a section, they should show up as section marks in a roof plan. You can customize the look of your section system family by editing/creating a head and tail family as required. You can also place a reference section on your roof plan. Click the section tool and on the options bar, select "Reference other view" and then select a view that is already in your project from the drop down list (perhaps a callout on a section you have already created). Is this what you're after?

Login to Give a bone

so i've tried to do as instructed...Go to a building section, place a callout detail view:detail, but no associated section view appears in the roof plan. All section annotations are turned on in my VV settings, show in intersecting view is selected and show at scales coarser than 1/8"=1' is set. The roof plan view is set to 1/4"=1'. I know that this was working earlier, but no longer. I know it's a stretch, but any idea what I might have changed? Is it a section family that I might have changed that doesn't associate with a plan view?

Login to Give a bone

Not sure what could be the issue. Is it possible to post the file or a part of it? See if you can reproduce the behavior somehwere else. I would also try checking the "Audit" option when opening just in case.

Login to Give a bone

it appears that the same thing is happening in another file that I started recently. Cut building section, added detail view callout, no section annotation showing in plan. I've attached that file. Hopefully i'm not just being dense.
    Thanks for you time and help.

in the mean time I've been using your other technique.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

NP

Easy fix....your "Hide at Scales Coarser Than" needs to be set at least at the scale of your roof plan. 1"=20'-0" is a coarser scale than 1"=1'-10", so Revit is hiding the section tag in the roof plan. Change your roof plan scale or the callout's "Hide at scales..." parameter.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    NP

Easy fix....your "Hide at Scales Coarser Than" needs to be set at least at the scale of your roof plan. 1"=20'-0" is a coarser scale than 1"=1'-10", so Revit is hiding the section tag in the roof plan. Change your roof plan scale or the callout's "Hide at scales..." parameter.
    This is slowly starting to make some sense. I had tried messing around with this, but couldn't make sense of it (I seem to have been thinking backwards). So here's a question...
    I have all my plans at 1/4"=1'-0". I cut a section that is also at that scale and draw my callouts. My call outs are set to "hide at scales...1"=20'-0"". I now go back to a plan view (still set to 1/4"=1') and I can not see my callouts reflected in the plan. It seems that they are hidden by the section lines. So if I change my "hide at..." setting for my section line to something so that it doesn't show I can see my callouts. But what if I want to see both?
    I tried to go the "opposite" direction by starting in a plan view and placing a section (detail View: detail) a distance away from the section line. This seems to work, however, if I then go to a building section view it doesn't show, unless I move the section line closer to the section detail callout. I've updated the file to show what I've done. Is there some setting or guide line as to how close the section line needs to be to the section callout in order for it to show up in the building section view?

Once again, Thanks a ton for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

The reason you can't see both is that they are on top of each other and the building section "wins". To see this for yourself, select a building section in plan and set it to hide at scales coarser than 3/8"=1'-0"....the callout section now appears. Unfortunately if you hide the building section by selecting it, right clicking and Hide in View, Elements, the callout doesn't reveal itself. I think it's pretty logical: you call things out and get closer/finer in detail as you go. So Revit knows you want the building section first and from there you'll be pointed to the callout.

If you wanted to show the callout in plan, you can always place a new reference section and select the correct view. This would work around the issue of the building section hiding the callout view.

As long as the extents of your building section enclose your detail section that you place in plan view, it'll show as a callout boundary when you open the building section.