Thread: Wrapping @ Ends

I could stop if I wanted to stuntmonkee's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Wrapping @ Ends

I'm sure this is most likely an old wish list item as well as something that has been brought up a couple times, but just in case things have changed, as well as the fact that it seems that we have several newbies hangin around, I'm goin to throw this out there. . .

Example-

I have an opening in a cmu wall. The wall has a layer of stucco on each side, and in turn the stucco wraps to the inside of the openings. I want this to show in plan, but it messes up the dimensions more or less. For opening the dims are now taken from the face of finish when you wrap it at the opening and ends, so to get a true showing you would have to draw the wall the extra distance of the thickness of your finish.

I'm guessing there isn't a fix to this, but I'm not near the Revit Zen Master yet, so who knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wrapping @ Ends

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmonkee
    I'm sure this is most likely an old wish list item as well as something that has been brought up a couple times, but just in case things have changed, as well as the fact that it seems that we have several newbies hangin around, I'm goin to throw this out there. . .

Example-

I have an opening in a cmu wall. The wall has a layer of stucco on each side, and in turn the stucco wraps to the inside of the openings. I want this to show in plan, but it messes up the dimensions more or less. For opening the dims are now taken from the face of finish when you wrap it at the opening and ends, so to get a true showing you would have to draw the wall the extra distance of the thickness of your finish.

I'm guessing there isn't a fix to this, but I'm not near the Revit Zen Master yet, so who knows.
    I have noticed when you dimension to a wall with the end exposed to a room, you can only dimension to its finish fac at the end. I don't think they have put any thought into this condition yet, but it has been asked for.

I could stop if I wanted to kpaxton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Stunt,
    Yes, this has been commented before and is on the wish list (along with doing dimensions on angled walls too). As we haven't installed 8.1 as of yet, I can't comment to the viability of the dimension updates, although they've addressed a fair amount of concerns.

To help you along, a work around is to place Ref. Planes or Lines where you want the opening, (with block dimensions, etc.), then place the wall opening in relation to this and dimension to the Ref. Planes. Your walls might not match up 'exactly', but at least your dimensions will be correct.

Also, if you have an opening (like an archway, etc.) and you're using an opening family such as Arched.rfa, etc., you can dimension to the block opening (which is the cut of the doorway).

Hope this helps a little.

(Factorrrryyyyyyy! !!!!!!)

-Kyle

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Neither problem has been fixed in 8.1 ....they added a lot cool stuff but this basic functionality needs to fixed asap! I'm gonna have some very unhappy architects once we start dimensioning the interior walls

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham
    Neither problem has been fixed in 8.1 ....they added a lot cool stuff but this basic functionality needs to fixed asap! I'm gonna have some very unhappy architects once we start dimensioning the interior walls
    Yes, it is very annoying. We should be able to dimension anything that is drawn and each of their layers just as if we were in a 2D program.

Login to Give a bone

I'm one of the newbies hanging around as Stuntmonkee mentioned (although no longer a Lurker! hehe), and was relieved to find a thread on this after doing a search on wraps.

Gutted however to find, that by the end of the thread, that it is still an unresolved issue! Had my hopes up 'n all

I am currently learning Revit on an already AutoCAD documented, concrete masonry residence, with a plaster finish and had this very problem while playing last night.

Oh well, will keep an eye on this issue and dimension to reference planes as suggested in the meantime.

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Kurk.. I love that sig.

Makes me want to grab HitchHikers out and start reading......gotta love the classics.

Login to Give a bone

Time to revive an oldie (last post was in 2005!)

Has this functionality been addressed to date and I am missing it or are we still stuck dimensioning to the finished face of wing walls and openings?

Yes, adding reference planes works, but what a HUGE pita on a large residential project with a huge number of 3 sided open balconies.

PLEASE tell be there is a way to dimension to a "wrapped face"!!!!!!!!!!!!!