Thread: Convert wall based family to generic family

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Convert wall based family to generic family

I spent a good portion of today creating a parametric sunshade family. I started by using the Generic Model wall based.rft template (RAC2008 build: 20070524_1700). I had everything flexing properly and then tried to insert it into my building model. I was able to insert the sunshade family onto "normal" walls just fine (i.e. cmu, brick, stud, etc) but I don't need to provide shade on these walls ... I need to provide shade to the windows in my curtainwall. Revit wouldn't let me insert the sunshade on the curtain wall.

1. Is there a way to attach generic wall based families to curtain walls?

2. If not, is there an easy way to convert a wall based family to a plain old generic family? Without surprise, Revit won't let me copy/paste.

Thanks,
    Blake

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert wall based family to generic family

Can you place a small portion of wall in the CW and attach to it.

Login to Give a bone

hi blake,
    a curtain wall in revit is simply a paneled wall. try making a wall type whose structure is just glass with the same thickness as your panels. replace the system panel with your new glass panel wall type. your family should see it as just another wall.
    good luck,
    jamie
    Jamie Casile
    CAD/BIM Manager
    Pacific CADD Services, Inc.
    ...My Lomography Page...

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Other than the workarounds suggested above (which are not very Revit like) I don't believe you can convert a wall based family (or any hosted family type) to anything else. You'll have to re-create the family.

I know this advice is too late but if you are unsure where a componenet might be placed it is generally better to start with a face based template rather than a wall based one. That way you can place the family on any face.

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BATx2 View Post
    ...Without surprise, Revit won't let me copy/paste...
    Well... that is true, REVIT will not let you copy/paste the whole families of different categories, but... try this: rather than trying to save-as/copy/paste the whole family, try to copy/paste only the defining geometry.

1) Go into the family geometry edit mode of the family you want to copy (in case of an in-place family just an edit mode, in case of the normal family inside a family editor - again in an edit mode) and highlight and copy your solid(s)/void(s) - the whole geometry.

2) Go to your new family (in the same instance of Revit but different project/family of required category) and, again while in a geometry edit mode, paste them there...

3) Finish family and save...

It works for "saving" in-place families "as" normal, stand-alone families in the library (or rather "pasting" in-place families' geometry into new library families), so it may work for the different categories of families too... I don't know - didn't check it - just a thought.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BATx2 View Post
    ... but I don't need to provide shade on these walls ... I need to provide shade to the windows in my curtainwall.
    Is it possible for you to create a sunshade within the window family (or curtainwall window panel family).
    1. The sunshade moves/ lives with the window.
    2. Deleting the window removes the shade too.
    3. You can create a visibility parameter for the sunshade too....
    hth
    nicholas

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up recreating the sunshade as a plain old (parametric) generic model. I considered trying the face based template but didn't want to risk having to recreate it a third time if the face based properties didn't act like I expected. It works, it's flexible, the only caveat is that if a wall moves, the sunshade doesn't move with it (unless I lock every alignment), but we're only a few days away from sending out documents ... the walls aren't going to move. What's funny, though, is I spent a few hours creating it the first time, the second time took less than 30 minutes and it's more flexible than the first one.

On a side note, is there a document somewhere that lists explanations of the different templates? Sure the names are pretty self explanatory, but a little more information would be appreciated.

Blake