Thread: Scheduling Door Material with yes/no paramters

Login to Give a bone

Default Scheduling Door Material with yes/no paramters

I have created a Hollow Metal frame family in which I want to nest several different door panels Wood, HM, Alum, etc... I have modeled each panel as a separate nested family and in the end I want to create on/off yes/no parameters that allow whom ever in our office is placing the door into their project to simply select the type of door panel they want in the frame. So far I can get the on/off to work when I have only two differing panels nested in the family, but not when I have 3 or more panels nested. Is there a different formula I need to use once I exceed two panels?

Also, and probably the bigger of the two problems, is when I created the panels I assigned them all their appropriate and differing materials. When I nest them into the frame family and place that family into the project it will not schedule the door material. What needs to be done for this material to be scheduled, and is it even possible for this to be scheduled by using the on/off yes/no parameters to choose which door panel you have in the frame?

I have started playing with shared parameters as I have read that only shared parameters can be scheduled. Am I on the right track? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Scheduling Door Material with yes/no paramters

Instead of using yes no parameter you can use a "family type" parameter. This will allow you to switch out any families (of the correct catagory) you have nested in to the host family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I have created two generic models. One is a WD door panel and the other is a HM door panel. I than nested those into my Frame family. I created a Family type parameter for generic models and grouped them under the Materials and Finishes Category. After doing that I can than switch between the two panels. However, neither of the panels ever turn on or off, and their material still does not schedule. What am I doing wrong? How can I schedule a family type parameter?

Login to Give a bone

Through reading other posts and through your help I now have created a Type Catalog which has a drop down lists of all of my door panel types that are nested into the frame family. The list works great as when I switch between panels the name of the panel selected schedules automatically. That is exactly what I wanted. However, when I switch between panels nothing actually changes in my model. What I would like to have happen is for only the panel that is selected to be visible in my model. Obviously for rendering reasons. Is there anyway to do this and have it be associated to my Type Catalog?