Thread: Joist Girder Inquiry!

Login to Give a bone

Default Joist Girder Inquiry!

Hi All,
    I have been working in a Revit Structure Model where I suppose to replace a 28LH girder with a 36G4N joist girder on a 48'-9" span. Apparenty, it cannot be done because I get an error message that says it cannot create this type of girder. I want to mention that 36G4N8K type does not exist in the library. After few attempts to create one we failed. OK, I have tried to trick the model and to use a 36LH size but I get the same error, probably because the depth is to high for this span. My engineers told me that a 36LH cannot span on a 48'-9" but a 36G4N8K should work just fine. So, I reached a stopping point and I desperately need help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.
    Sincerely,
    Dan Ungureanu

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joist Girder Inquiry!

Without seeing your project it is hard to say what's going on. The delivered joist families do have a minimum span for placement. If the span is too small for a given joist size you will run into an error similar to what you have described. That being said I had a quick play with the 36LH families and was able to create one on a span of 29'-5 3/4". So for this size joist it doesn't appear that you are running into the minimum span allowed.

Have you tried simply deleting and replacing the joist in question with a 36LH?

A cheap / quick fix for getting the tag to read correctly is to simply rename the type after placement (for example: place a 36LH15 -> element properties -> Edit / New... -> Duplicate... or Rename...) assuming you are using a tag that leverages the type name.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joist Girder Inquiry!

no joist girders. so i usually use a LH joist and duplicate the closest size needed, naming it the girder size for tagging. i have also also copied the LH family and deleted the interior webs so they fit just about any length. cheap work around, acts just like reg LH just no web.

we need a real joist girder family !!!!!