See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Linking YES/NO Shared Parameter to TEXT in Family Parameter

Login to Give a bone

Default Linking YES/NO Shared Parameter to TEXT in Family Parameter

Hi,

My question is related to the room and room tags.
    I have a shared parameter (with YES/NO type) known as "Tiled" under the Room Family, and I wish to create a room tag with the indication of floor material that is linked to the above-mentioned shared parameter in the Room Family.
    For instance, when the user places the "Room" in an enclosed space and selects YES to the "Tiled" parameter, the Room Tag will automatically display the text "Floor Tiles". But if the "Tiled" parameter is unselected, the text "Concrete Floor" will be displayed.
    In short, how do I create a conditional formula which will link the YES/NO shared parameter to the TEXT in family parameter?
    Hope to seek for your advice. Many thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking YES/NO Shared Parameter to TEXT in Family Parameter

I think you'd have to have multiple embedded annotation families and use visibility connected with your parameter.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Linking YES/NO Shared Parameter to TEXT in Family Parameter

Thx for your advice. Perhaps you could take a look on the screenshots attached. I have linked the visibility of the shared parameter "FloorTiled" to the family parameter "Floor Tiled", as well as creating the text parameter and conditional formula with STRINGS.

Basically there are several problems:
    1) When I tried to toggle the box of "Floor Tiled", the formula seems to work only in the family parameter (Image: Family_RoomTag). But when I import the room tag family into the project, I can't see the parameters that I have created earlier on (Image: Project_RoomTag)
    2) When I toggle the box "FloorTiled" (Image:Project_RoomWithTiles), I only see the "YES/NO" text being displayed on the screen, rather than "Tiles/Concrete" text which I have created as STRING in the formula

Can anyone help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking YES/NO Shared Parameter to TEXT in Family Parameter

I don't see a way to do exactly what you want. You can't have a tag operate on the parameter of the thing it's tagging. It's only reporting the parameter of its host - the room. Notice that you can't actually add a shared parameter to the tag family? The labels have to be shared parameters, but the tags own parameters are only family parameters. You can build formulas into families, but not into a system family such as a room. You can put formulas in schedules via a calculated value. Here are two options I see:

1. Create a key schedule for your rooms. Call your Key Name "Tiled". Have room style "Yes" with Floor Finish set to "Floor Tiles", and "No" set to "Concrete Floor". Put the label showing the shared parameter Floor Finish in your room tag. You won't have a check box as this is not a true Yes/No parameter. I'm not so sure this is a good use of Yes/No anyway. What happens when your 2 conditions become 3 or 4? You can use the key schedule in a more general way to drive all of your finishes as well, and add additional parameters to the keys later.

2. Use your "Tiled" Yes/No parameter (doesn't need to be shared). Add a Calculated Value "Floor Finish" to your room finish schedule. Check "Formula", Type: Text. Formula: if(Tiled, "Floor Tiles", "Concrete Floor") The problem here is I don't think you can get the Floor Finish to display in your tag as in option 1.
    Last edited by atbergma; 2007-10-15 at 07:09 AM.