See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Choosing a specific block within a dynamic block?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Choosing a specific block within a dynamic block?

I understand the concepts of dynamic blocks but have yet to try and use them. This being that dynamic blocks seem more as an advantage to architectural, mechanical, etc... disciplines rather than civil which is the field I work within.

Anyhow, I found an idea that I thought would be a good start to checking out dynamic blocks, but being of limited knowledge, I am not sure where to start. My idea is quite simple. What I am after is creating a dynamic block with a dwt whereas when a new project is started, the end user would select which engineering seal to apply. So if I had one block that could reference lets say 6 engineers stamps and all the user had to do was select the project engineer and bam, that would be the block displayed. Searching and reading around through here, is seems as though the lookup function might apply to this, but I am not sure. Also, would I need multiple blocks or would it be just one block where the variable was the engineers name and the date (minus the year)?

So I was hoping some of you could tel lme where to start and how to go about this as I am wrapping up the just of this template and would like to incorporate this idea if possible. Would be much appreciated. Thanks much.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Choosing a specific block within a dynamic block?

Get all your stamps and make a dynamic block, use visibility to select only the one you want and make them visible/invisible as needed. Hint, once each visibility state is created and the correct stamp shows, make sure you move them to the same spot, so when you switch states the stamp doesn't jump around.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadman_meg View Post
    I understand the concepts of dynamic blocks but have yet to try and use them. This being that dynamic blocks seem more as an advantage to architectural, mechanical, etc... disciplines rather than civil which is the field I work within.

Anyhow, I found an idea that I thought would be a good start to checking out dynamic blocks, but being of limited knowledge, I am not sure where to start. My idea is quite simple. What I am after is creating a dynamic block with a dwt whereas when a new project is started, the end user would select which engineering seal to apply. So if I had one block that could reference lets say 6 engineers stamps and all the user had to do was select the project engineer and bam, that would be the block displayed. Searching and reading around through here, is seems as though the lookup function might apply to this, but I am not sure. Also, would I need multiple blocks or would it be just one block where the variable was the engineers name and the date (minus the year)?

So I was hoping some of you could tel lme where to start and how to go about this as I am wrapping up the just of this template and would like to incorporate this idea if possible. Would be much appreciated. Thanks much.
    if only 6, start w/ vis states. you can incorporate fields and lookups as you get better. DB's are almost never finished when they're finished...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    if only 6, start w/ vis states. you can incorporate fields and lookups as you get better. DB's are almost never finished when they're finished...
    Here here

hint: to make thing visible/invisible use the two buttons located in the top right hand corner (a new tool bar will pop up when you enter the block editor they are on the right hand side of this toolbar) or you can select the objects and right click>visibility>hide/show

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory View Post
    Here here

hint: to make thing visible/invisible use the two buttons located in the top right hand corner (a new tool bar will pop up when you enter the block editor they are on the right hand side of this toolbar) or you can select the objects and right click>visibility>hide/show
    which can also be found out about by exploring HERE...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    which can also be found out about by exploring HERE...
    Lol didnt think to link to them