See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P1001 Unistrut Dynamic Block?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default P1001 Unistrut Dynamic Block?

Greetings,

I've been trying to work out a way to have a linear stretch parameter on my back to back P1001 Unistrut.

I managed to make one work (P1001 Strut_old.dwg below), but it won't render as a solid or show hits in Navis.

I extruded 2 P1000 sections of Unistrut and unioned them thinking that this was the way, but that didn't work.

I took a P1001 2d rendering and extruded it and attempted to add the linear stretch pair to it, but it only moves the block, and won't apply the stretch parameter.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank You,
    Perk
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: P1001 Unistrut Dynamic Block?

I moved this thread from the sharing to the technical side as this is a question. Thanks!
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by steve.perkio View Post
    Greetings,

I've been trying to work out a way to have a linear stretch parameter on my back to back P1001 Unistrut.

I managed to make one work (P1001 Strut_old.dwg below), but it won't render as a solid or show hits in Navis.

I extruded 2 P1000 sections of Unistrut and unioned them thinking that this was the way, but that didn't work.

I took a P1001 2d rendering and extruded it and attempted to add the linear stretch pair to it, but it only moves the block, and won't apply the stretch parameter.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank You,
    Perk
    Perk,
    i haven't opened up your attachments, but it sounds like you're trying to create a 3D DB, and from what i have heard (tho never tried) is that 3DDB's are not possible at this time, and depending on ACAD version (2007+) you have grips that affect solids that are quite dynamic...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

I think stretch actions only effect 3D faces. Only move, scale and array actions effect 3D solids. Well as far as i know.
    Are you using Vanilla CAD? If you have ADT you could use a column object

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I'm using Autocad Building Systems 2007 as Autocad and extruding most everything the old fashoned way.

I have our consultants working on some ideas, Thanks!

Perk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory View Post
    I think stretch actions only effect 3D faces. Only move, scale and array actions effect 3D solids. Well as far as i know.
    Are you using Vanilla CAD? If you have ADT you could use a column object

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

If you are using ABS, generate your strut as a structural member (use a strut profile) and if you want, you can even add threaded rods and brackets (blocks) to each end also so when you stretch the element the rods remain at the ends of the strut.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Stadtler View Post
    If you are using ABS, generate your strut as a structural member (use a strut profile) and if you want, you can even add threaded rods and brackets (blocks) to each end also so when you stretch the element the rods remain at the ends of the strut.
    Stadtler, (Sorry I don't know your name)

Have you done this? If so, could you post an example for us to look at.

I have created a ton a trapeze by creating multi view blocks but this sounds like an easier, better way to do it.

Thanks,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst View Post
    Stadtler, (Sorry I don't know your name)

Have you done this? If so, could you post an example for us to look at.

I have created a ton a trapeze by creating multi view blocks but this sounds like an easier, better way to do it.

Thanks,
    Here is the file - i was going to walk through all the steps involved but i don't have a nice software package which would make it easy for me to do so. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Note that this was originally generated in ABS 2005 without the benefit of dynamic blocks - i suppose you could incorporate a dynamic block for custom/variable rod lengths but you would have to be sneaky about it since you want the rods vertical and that's the way the block inserts - parameters need 2D points to grab.

This concept will work in similar situations- such as stud rails or studs for structural, rebar with hooks on the ends, conduits with j-boxes, wall framing members with specific spacing....

I almost forgot - since this is basically a structural member, it will behave in the same fashion - use the break command and split it in half and you will then have 2 struts each with a rod at both ends - makes it easy doesn't it?

Stadtler
    Last edited by Stadtler; 2007-10-22 at 07:25 AM. Reason: additional info.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Stadtler View Post
    Here is the file - i was going to walk through all the steps involved but i don't have a nice software package which would make it easy for me to do so. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Note that this was originally generated in ABS 2005 without the benefit of dynamic blocks - i suppose you could incorporate a dynamic block for custom/variable rod lengths but you would have to be sneaky about it since you want the rods vertical and that's the way the block inserts - parameters need 2D points to grab.

This concept will work in similar situations- such as stud rails or studs for structural, rebar with hooks on the ends, conduits with j-boxes, wall framing members with specific spacing....

I almost forgot - since this is basically a structural member, it will behave in the same fashion - use the break command and split it in half and you will then have 2 struts each with a rod at both ends - makes it easy doesn't it?

Stadtler
    Thanks, Stadtler. However, I think you forgot to attach the file. Could you please post it.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst View Post
    Thanks, Stadtler. However, I think you forgot to attach the file. Could you please post it.
    Oops - old age i guess.....sorry about that

Stadtler
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast