Thread: Spaces

Login to Give a bone

Default Spaces

Okay, this sound like a wish list item, but I wanted to make sure there isn't a way to do it. I have a plan with my spaces in it from an older drawing. In the space, I have my property sets already filled out. Problem is, now that I'm drawing in PN and 3D, I generate my spaces automatically, which is WAY simpler than how I used to do it. Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to take a space the I just generated, which has all of my property sets blank, and match it to a space that already has the property sets filled out. Sort of like a matchprop command. That way, I don't have to:
    1. fill out everything again, or
    2. use my old space and manually make it fit the room.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Spaces

Copy should get you want you want but it will be up to you to modify the boundary....
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett View Post
    Copy should get you want you want but it will be up to you to modify the boundary....
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Off to the wish list..............................

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Off to the wish list..............................
    Workaround:

Make a copy of the space with the properties you want, and edit its boundaries to be smaller than any space with which you want to endow with its properties. Copy this space to each space that is to have the same properties, placing the copy entirely within the larger space. Select the small space, right click and choose Join Spaces from the context menu (its there in 2004; I assume it or something similar remains in 2008, which I can not check at the moment). The result should be a single space with the perimeter of the larger space, with the properties of the smaller space.

WARNING: This will change all properties, including room name and number. Any tags on the larger space will also be lost. But retagging/renaming/renumbering may be easier than filling in a lot of finish information.

You can also select all of the spaces in a drawing that have the same finish information and enter that data one time, for all of them. Depending on the number of similar spaces and how many finish properties you have, that may be faster than reentering room names and numbers.

Login to Give a bone

David,
    Good, no GREAT workaround! I've joined spaces before, but I never thought to use it this way. I haven't checked it yet (since I already took the time to fill in all the space information by hand ), but it should work. I'll keep that one in mind!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    David,
    Good, no GREAT workaround! I've joined spaces before, but I never thought to use it this way. I haven't checked it yet (since I already took the time to fill in all the space information by hand ), but it should work. I'll keep that one in mind!
    Given the paucity of space editing tools in 2004 (no vertex add or delete), it is often easier to create a new space, mush down the old space to be smaller, then join the old space to the new space. I do this all of the time. (I really hate spaces that have lots of extra vertices; others in my office appear to love creating spaces with them.) The Properties attached to the initially chosen space are kept.

I can not say I have tried this in 2008 - so while I would be surprised to get a different result there, you may want to experiment on a copy of a file until you are convinced that the technique works in 2008, too.