Thread: Configuring Default Templates etc for Inventor Pro 2008

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Configuring Default Templates etc for Inventor Pro 2008

Hi,

I've just started to implement the changeover to Inventor 2008 and I'm having a problem with setting the Default templates, Default Content Center Files, and the Projects folder under the Tools ==> Applications Options ==> 'File' tab.

I am trying to point these items to shared network locations and I can change them there initially, but then when I click OK or Apply I get the attached error message, and when I go back there again the changes are gone and the defaults restored.

This is starting to remind me of the early days of the CUI in AutoCAD and I can't say I'm enjoying it very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989.

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Configuring Default Templates etc for Inventor Pro 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    Hi,

I've just started to implement the changeover to Inventor 2008 and I'm having a problem with setting the Default templates, Default Content Center Files, and the Projects folder under the Tools ==> Applications Options ==> 'File' tab.

I am trying to point these items to shared network locations and I can change them there initially, but then when I click OK or Apply I get the attached error message, and when I go back there again the changes are gone and the defaults restored.

This is starting to remind me of the early days of the CUI in AutoCAD and I can't say I'm enjoying it very much.
    It's been a little while since I've done this, but you might try checking these first.

1) Did you map the drive? (Dumb question, but I've gotten caught checking permissions, network connectivity, etc. before having the 'slapping hand on forehead' moment). You could also try mapping with UNC pathing.

2) Did you create the folder structure with the template files you want first? If my memory is correct, Inventor may not let you create a template file without valid files in the directory.

I hope this info helps!
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.landeros View Post
    It's been a little while since I've done this, but you might try checking these first.

1) Did you map the drive? (Dumb question, but....
    2) Did you create the folder structure with the template files you want first?
    Thanks Jonathan, but both the drive mapping and the template files (or at least the directory for them) have been in place for a number of years now. Everything that I'm trying to do worked perfectly in Inventor 11, but won't work now.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Jonathan, but both the drive mapping and the template files (or at least the directory for them) have been in place for a number of years now. Everything that I'm trying to do worked perfectly in Inventor 11, but won't work now.
    Something peculiar is definitely going on. I've not seen anything that's different from R11 to R2008. It's usually pretty well behaved.

On other thing you might check. Is the project possibly have a template location set to a different path? The location in the template could override anything in application options.

Kind of a long shot, but it's the only thing I can think of on a Sunday afternoon.
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again for the suggestion. I am able to set the paths independantly in the project files as the need arises, and those ones are maintained as they are set. I have tried changing them to match the Application Options, and also changing them first, but neither way seems to make any difference. Sadly, I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.landeros View Post
    You could also try mapping with UNC pathing.
    D'OH!!

You can guess what just happened, can't you?

Turns out that Inventor 2008 will accept UNC paths, but won't accept a mapped drive locations.

Does anyone have any idea whether this can be remedied - the UNC path to our server is about 27 feet long!!
    Last edited by jguest; 2007-11-21 at 12:42 AM. Reason: fixed typo's

Login to Give a bone

Does anyone have any idea whether this can be remedied?
    Well, after almost two weeks of to and fro with Autodesk Technical Support and getting nowhere other than having a bunch of VERY basic questions asked of me, I have finally come up with a workaround on my own. It is as follows:

1. If possible, save an Inventor 2008 format file (or possibly copy using Explorer) to the mapped drive that you want to use. I used an assembly file (.iam) but others may be fine.
    2. Ensure that the file opens successfully in Inventor.
    3. Close Inventor.
    4. Open Windows Explorer and disconnect the offending network drive.
    5. Reboot the system.
    6. Open Inventor.
    7. In the 'Open' dialog box, navigate to 'My Computer' so that you are viewing all available
      drives both mapped and local.
    8. Open Windows Explorer and re-map the network drive using the same drive letter.
    9. Check that the drive has now appeared in the 'Open' dialog box in Inventor.
    10. Navigate to the file that was created in step one and open it.
    11. Go to Tools > Application Options > File tab.
    12. Browse to the relevant file locations as required.
    13. Click 'OK'
    If you can get through this entire process without any errors then you should now have mapped drive locations saved in the default paths under Tools > Application Options > Files.

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL IN BETWEEN ANY OF THESE STEPS, AND THAT YOU BEGIN THE PROCESS FROM A FRESH BOOT - OTHERWISE IT WILL FAIL!!

Of course, the downside to the above procedure is that it must be carried out for each individual who wishes to use Inventor 2008 on each machine where they want to do so.

Hopefully this will at least help some other poor soul in the meantime before Autodesk finds/creates a real solution.

Regards,...Jon Guest.