See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Plan Hatch Patterns Not Displaying

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Wall Plan Hatch Patterns Not Displaying

Hello AUGI Members,

I have a drawing that contains several custom wall styles. When the drawing is in plan view the hatch patterns for each of the custom wall styles display correctly however, when I switch to an Isometric or Perspective view the "plan hatch patterns" disappear. I would like to know if there is a way to keep the plan hatch pattern displayed when in Isometric or Perspective views.....??

Any assistance would be appreciated....!

Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Plan Hatch Patterns Not Displaying

The "Plan Hatch" by definition will only display in the plan view. You can however set up walls to display whatever hatch pattern you want on whatever surfaces you desire. If you are looking at a wall in isometric and the display is set to "hidden" you would not be able to see the plan hatch anyway as it would be inside the wall. You can assign materials to the various components in the wall and then edit the display of those materials to whatever hatch you want. Under the "other" tab you can assign which surfaces the hatch is displayed on.

A further description of what you want to do and possibly a file example would allow me to explain better .

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response.....!.....I am trying to accomplish something that is somewhat unusual. I want to utilize the power and flexability of AEC wall objects to simulate the effect as if the operator was drafting in 2D. In other words the wall height, since it can not be zero, would be approximately 0.1 inch which would look as if the wall was flat when looking in an Isometric or Perspective view.

I modified the plan hatch to look like the patterns we use fo walls cut in plan but when I switch to another view the plan hatch disappears and I want to keep the plan hatch visiable at all times.

Can I impose upon you be a little more specific about what paremeter or setting can I modify to keep the plan hatch visiable in other views.

Any input in the right direction would be appreciated....!

Thanks again for you help.

Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

There's a spinner at the bottom right hand corner of the screen that will also toggle surface hatch on and off. The second place this is controlled is with the Display manager. By Default I think you only get surface hatch at the Medium and Fine displays. The next spot they can get set up is in the wall style by applying a material to the wall component.

Login to Give a bone

As I mentioned, Plan Hatch will only display in plan view. You will need to define the Surface Hatch of the material used in the wall.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vferrara View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response.....!.....I am trying to accomplish something that is somewhat unusual. I want to utilize the power and flexability of AEC wall objects to simulate the effect as if the operator was drafting in 2D. In other words the wall height, since it can not be zero, would be approximately 0.1 inch which would look as if the wall was flat when looking in an Isometric or Perspective view.

I modified the plan hatch to look like the patterns we use fo walls cut in plan but when I switch to another view the plan hatch disappears and I want to keep the plan hatch visiable at all times.

Can I impose upon you be a little more specific about what paremeter or setting can I modify to keep the plan hatch visiable in other views.

Any input in the right direction would be appreciated....!

Thanks again for you help.

Regards,
    Vince
    If I understand what you are saying correctly, you want to look at your plan from an "isometric" view direction, but still see only what you would see in a "plan" or top view. Doing so could not be easier, and you do not need to make your walls "short".

In the Display Manager, make a new Display Configuration. In the attached file (done in ADT 2004), I made one called "Plan Only - Medium". I decided that the Medium Detail Display Configuration Top view direction "look" is what I wanted, and made note that the Plan Display Representation Set is active for the Top view direction in that Display Configuration. In the new Display Configuration, I set the Top view direction to *NONE*, left the Bottom, Left, Right, Front and Back view directions at *NONE* and set the Default view direction to Plan. No matter what view direction you choose when the Plan Only - Medium Display Configuration is current, the Plan Display Representation will be current, and that is what you will see. Even in a "3D" view, you will simply see "flat" 2D graphics, in an "isometric" type display (unless you are viewing it from the Top or Bottom view directions, in which case you will see a "plan" or from the Front, Back, Left or Right view directions, in which case you will see a "line" - the flat graphics, on edge).

Is that what you were trying to achieve?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

By George, I think he's got it!
    I'm tellin' you people, Dave is a freakin' genius! I would have never figured that out.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, he's good. Thanks Dave. Your insight into the Display Manager helped me out today. Cheers.

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

Hello Dave,

Yes.....it is exactly what I wanted to accomplish......your solution is great....!!!....I will use your example and try to create one of our wall styles to try and understand what you did, but from what I can see this will work perfectly.

Thank you again for you expert solution to my request....!

Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for you expert solution to my wall display problem a while ago. I do have another question regarding AEC walls and specific layers.

I have create a number of wall styles such as Shear wall, Cmu Wall, Foundation Wall, Existing Wall, etc. and each of these walls should be represented with a different layer structure. For example:

- Shear wall = S-wall-shear
    - Cmu wall = S-wall-cmu
    - Foundation wall = S-wall-fdn

When I place the walls on a drawing using a custom tool I created on a custom palette where I was able to specify a specific Layer Key style they are placed on the correct layer. However, when I try to place one of these wall styles using the "walladd" command, even though I am in the corresponding layer for that wall style the wall is placed in layer S-wall with the other related layer (S-wall-cmu) being under the S-wall layer.

In other words Shear walls placed using the tool are placed directly in the S-wall-shear layer and when you select the wall the S-wall-shear layer is recognized and when I place a wall using the "walladd" command the wall is placed in the S-wall layer which is the displayed layer when the wall is selected.

Is there a way to have these other wall style types placed in the correct layers when using the "walladd" command...?? It appears that all the walls are tied back to the layer key styles somehow but everywhere I have looked when creating and editing the wall styles, I can not find out how to associate the custom wall types with their corresponding layers.

Any assistance will be appreciated....!

Regards,
    Vince

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast