Thread: Viewing Revit Architecture 2008 or Revit Structure 2008 with free Navisworks Freedom

Login to Give a bone

Default Viewing Revit Architecture 2008 or Revit Structure 2008 with free Navisworks Freedom

How do I view "Revit Architecture 2008" or "Revit Structure 2008" files with free "Navisworks Freedom" viewer?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viewing Revit Architecture 2008 or Revit Structure 2008 with free Navisworks Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tony_dakin View Post
    How do I view "Revit Architecture 2008" or "Revit Structure 2008" files with free "Navisworks Freedom" viewer?
    From the NavisWorks website -

" * JetStream can export .nwc files directly from Revit Structure.
    As well as having Revit Structure and JetStream on the same machine, you will additionally need to install the .NET Framework. The installer for the relevant version can be found via Menubox (on the JetStream v5 product CD and downloadable installer).
    * Revit properties are supported. These can be viewed in the 'Properties' window. To open the Properties window, go to View > Control Bars > Properties."

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viewing Revit Architecture 2008 or Revit Structure 2008 with free Navisworks Freedom

JetStream isn't a free application. Does this mean it is impossible to view Revit Architecture 2008 or Revit Structure 2008 within the "Navisworks Freedom" application? Not to seem too critical but I don't believe what I questioned was answered. As an example, had I asked, how do I make my Ford Pinto go 100 MPH...reply: Buy a Ford Mustang. Just seems at times these forums aren't very beneficial.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

JetStream isn't a free application. Does this mean it is impossible to view Revit Architecture 2008 or Revit Structure 2008 within the "Navisworks Freedom" application? Not to seem too critical but I don't believe what I questioned was answered. As an example, had I asked, how do I make my Ford Pinto go 100 MPH...reply: Buy a Ford Mustang. Just seems at times these forums aren't very beneficial.
    Short answer to your orignal post: you don't. Period.

Long answer:
    Jaberwok was entirely correct. The Freedom viewer can only open NWD files. To create NWD files, you need at least one computer with both a Roamer licence *and* a Publisher licence. Typically, the model is opened in Navis Roamer, the settings are tweaked, then the Publisher module is used to create the NWD file.

You don't get something for nothing. If you could open any file with the free-of-charge Freedom program, why would anybody purchase an expensive Roamer or Publisher licence?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Short answer to your orignal post: you don't. Period.

You don't get something for nothing. If you could open any file with the free-of-charge Freedom program, why would anybody purchase an expensive Roamer or Publisher licence?

Perhaps you're right but, consider this, if the Roamer and Publisher do EXACTLY what the Freedom program does...why purchase the Roamer or the Publisher? Thinking you're not comparing apples to apples. We need a 3D viewer to do live walk-through's with our clients...we require nothing more than that. Would you purchase a full-blown license for Navisworks software if you had the same end-use expectations. If so, could you transfer a file or two for us to the NWD format?

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps you're right but, consider this, if the Roamer and Publisher do EXACTLY what the Freedom program does...why purchase the Roamer or the Publisher? Thinking you're not comparing apples to apples. We need a 3D viewer to do live walk-through's with our clients...we require nothing more than that. Would you purchase a full-blown license for Navisworks software if you had the same end-use expectations. If so, could you transfer a file or two for us to the NWD format?
    The Roamer and the Publisher have the ability to do what the Freedom program does is correct. However, the Freedom program cannot create the file in the format you are wanting. That is one of the reasons it is free.

If you need your files to be transfered to that format, you can either purchase the necessary programs or hire a consultant to make the conversions for you. As dgorsman said, "You don't get something for nothing."
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I use Navis JetStream Roamer and Publisher on a *daily* basis, and manage around 40 licences of it. Have even written a few .NET applications that make use of the Navis JetStream API. So, I am quite familiar with what I am talking about. And no, I can't publish your files for you - I've got my own company's clients to look after.

Get a Roamer licence, it is worth the cost and you won't need the Publisher licence unless you want to send the files out of office *and* the recipient doesn't have a Roamer licence. Roamer has all the capabilities of Freedom and much, much more. You can have a look at a Publisher licence later if you think you will need it.

Login to Give a bone

...had I asked, how do I make my Ford Pinto go 100 MPH...reply: Buy a Ford Mustang. ...

But, trading in the Pinto for a Mustang probably is the best way to get it up to 100 mph.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    But, trading in the Pinto for a Mustang probably is the best way to get it up to 100 mph.
    According to my calculations, in order to get your Pinto up to 100 mph, you need to drive it over a 137 ft cliff at approximately 63.8mph with a windspeed of no more than 23.8 knots at an angle not to exceed 27 degrees off the right front end.

Or, just put it on an Amtrak..

BTW, you're awful quick to judge the quality of a forum that has a user base of over 150,000 when you've only participated in 4 posts. Most of those were in this thread.

Give it a little more time. As an Autodesk Application Engineer, when I have a tech support issue, this is the first place I come for an answer, even with all the other resources available to me from Autodesk.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!