Thread: Seeking "symbols" for ventilation fan and smoke detector

Login to Give a bone

Default Seeking "symbols" for ventilation fan and smoke detector

I'm looking for standard 2D symbols (not sure if that's the proper terms) to use in floor plan views for bathroom ventilation fans and smoke detectors.

I see some 3D stuff on RevitCity, but I just need something simple that will show up easily on floor plans.

I'm using Revit Architectur 2008 and this is my first project. I'm a bit surprised that Revit (when I use the "Symbol" pick) doesn't seem to have this basic stuff. Am I missing something major here?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Seeking "symbols" for ventilation fan and smoke detector

Are you a former AutoCAD user? There is a different approach needed, and it does appear to a novice user that things are missing in Revit - I can still remember thinking "where's the flippin LINE command...."

But if you have a 2d dwg you are use to using you can use that symbol in Revit, just import it. Another good source for symbols (as you defined it) or families is Revitcity.com.

Login to Give a bone

I'm a a former 2D+3D CAD programmer of 20 years, but never was an AutoCAD user per se. I don't have any AutoCAD data from which to swipe things.

I fully understand the distinction between "modelling" and "drawing" and eventually will go back and add real 3D devices for fans, smoke detectors, etc. and maybe add additional things like ceiling plans to show them if that's the proper way to do it. I also intend to fully model kitchens, applicances, and furniture in 3D vs just the text and lines I use now that show up in plan.

Meanwhile, I have a final permit revision submission deadline at the end of the week that I must meet, following seven years of frivolous litigation by a crazy ex-neighbor.

For now, I just need something that will look OK in plan so the county plans examiner won't go looking for her red marker. I'm open, however, to other ways of doing this. I'm not yet proficient in making families, symbols, and really don't have time to immerse myself in all of that this week, much as I'd like to ...

Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

I figured out how to do what I want using detail components. Since text in detail components is not displayed (subscription people tell me that's intentional, that such text is for designer notes only), I nested annotation symbols under that. It seems there's a problem with right-aligned text in annotation symbols not positioning correctly 2 levels up, and I've submitted a problem report on that.

Intereting stuff in those ".cz" files. Where's cz?

Login to Give a bone

CZ is Czech Republic (former Czechoslovakia), Central Europe:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=c...18359&z=5&om=1

Login to Give a bone

Check the "MEP" category in AutoCAD Electrical Symbol Library for ventilation fan symbols. For smoke detectors, look into the "Fire Protection" category.