Thread: Column Grid Lines and Shifting Column Grids

Login to Give a bone

Default Column Grid Lines and Shifting Column Grids

The building im working on has a column grid that offsets half way through the building. i am attempting to use the column grid tool to set it up and can hopefully get it to display the way i would like. the attached file has 2 grids, the top (line drawing) grid is roughly how i would like it to display, with the offset grid lines only showing up on the back half of the building instead of running all the way through the way the bottom (column grid tool) grid displays them.

is this something that can be done with the column grid tool and how would that affect labeling the grid?

danke

Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Column Grid Lines and Shifting Column Grids

The way I got around this the last time I had an issue like this was to create the main column grid and use those lable. Then use the "Create from linework" option with the additional grid. You would then need to manually add the column labels to the subgrids that were shifted. You would also need to anchor that grid to the one you created with the autogenerate grid tool.
    I don't think you have the option yet to shorten a grid line (Wish list item?). I'm not sure what they haven't done this yet. They allow you to do this with that other program, but that is also just as painful. In My Humble Opinion, the grid tool has never been the best tool. I've never liked the way that it worked.

Login to Give a bone

You can take the line work you have drawn (in the top example) and just convert it all to a grid using the method David mentioned (right click on the grid tool to get you there)
    I like this method because it is much more flexible becasue you can manipulate each grid line however you need to, yet it is still all one grid object, rather that being separate. The one thing I would do first though is extend your lines past the edges just a bit, so it's easier to manipulate those end points. When you need to move a gridline, you will need to use the middle node. If you use the ends, it will skew.

I would say I use the generate grid from linework method 99% of the time. I rarely have case where the grid is a perfect "grid". The only down side is you have to label the lines manually, however it's not too tough. Use the cutsom column bubble tool and pick a location for it. Once you type in the first one, it is going to auto increment each time you pick the next point.

Plus, using the grid tool in this fashion will allow you to do the things Dave mentioned as not being able to do, shorten one grid, etc. You could even do radial grids if you wanted. Basically, if you can draw it with lines, you can make it a grid.

Login to Give a bone

OK, just for fun, and as an example, I converted your linework to a grid, and then I added a really goofy grid to the side. It's not realistic, but it shows what can be done.
    Notice how on your grid, each line can be independently manipulated to your heart's desire!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

good to know all of that. thanks