See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving Central File to Server Not Working

Login to Give a bone

Default Saving Central File to Server Not Working

This seems so strange - and I hope someone has run into this issue. We are relatively new to Revit, but have successfully made two workset enabled projects with a central file on our server and local files and all went smoothly.
    Today I have tried to set a project up with a central file and it consistently comes back with "File Not Saved" when I try to save it as a central file. I am able to save a central file to my local drive, but not on the server. I even tried taking that central file I created on my local drive and moving it to the server, then saving as central and came back with the same error.
    There isn't a block on the server since I am able to save general files and regular (non-workset enabled) Revit files to the server.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? I am at a loss.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Saving Central File to Server Not Working

not sure ... try using the 'Detach from Central' and 'Audit' options when opening the central file on your computer. after this is complete, run a SaveAs and use the 'Make this a central file ...' option to create a new central file on the server.

Login to Give a bone

The issue is in the actual creation of the central file. I have my project file, I've enabled worksets, I do "Save As" which automatically checks it as the central file - but at about 50% through the save process it stops and says "File Not Saved."

It creates a file with the name chosen, but the file is not set as a central file.

I'm beginning to think it is a network permissions issue, but our IT guys swear nothing's been changed since the last central file we successfully created.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aeckhoff View Post
    ...I'm beginning to think it is a network permissions issue, but our IT guys swear nothing's been changed since the last central file we successfully created...
    We'd be rich if we got paid every time we've heard that! It sure sounds like connectivity to me. Even if nothing intentional was changed, something has...usually about the time they say they didn't change anything a third time they suddenly remember that patch...automatic update...reboot without warning anyone...and the list goes on. Good luck!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Ahem... yes... ditto what Stafford said. 'Have run into the same issue here. Check, double check, triple check with IT. I haven't figued out what the disconnect is exactly, but Revit is like a spiderweb on the networks we work within, and most of the time its behavior is unexpected (compared to CAD [or should I interject Mircostation here] CAD is [relatively] isolated... Revit is not...) at best. Worksharing extends beyond the usernames in the project history, everyone is involved in how Revit functions. Good luck!
    -LC
    Last edited by echo; 2007-11-02 at 02:50 AM.

Login to Give a bone

By any chance, are you trying to overwrite the same file with the same filename? I've had a case one time where I tried over and over and got a similar problem with a file. Then I tried to make it a central using a different name and it went through. I would open as detached copy and check the Audit option before doing this just to be sure.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the words of support - its nice to know someone cares

I did not try to overwrite the existing file - I always gave it a new name. The strangest thing is that I can create a central file on by local drive, so its got to be something going on with our server.

Our CAD dealer support said we needed to load the latest build, so we did that and we still have the issue, so, no magic button to fix our woes.

Login to Give a bone

Blah, latest build....sorry to say but that kind of response sounds more like trying to shake you off! Everyone here has been working with Revit long enough and at least in the past few years there were no such problems that I'm aware of "fixed" by a particular build.

Have you tried making a central on your C drive and then saving a local on the network? Does it let you? I'm wondering if you have the correct write permissions....

Login to Give a bone

Did successfully create the Central to the C drive - then when I tried to move it to the server, it halted the save in the same way as before. It has got to be a network issue - we're just trying to narrow down what. We know the last time we successfully created a central file, so now our guys are hunting through the updates, etc. that have been done since then to narrow down what it might be.

We even tried creating a central file while logged in as full permission administrator and it still halted - with that login there should be absolutely no limitations regarding reading/writing/copying.

Does anyone know what process Revit goes through in the creation of the central file? Where does it reach to gather information, copy files, download data, etc? If we had such documentation, it would help us narrow down the culprit.

Login to Give a bone

Could it have anything to do with your antivirus software?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast