Thread: updating architect's linked model

Login to Give a bone

Question updating architect's linked model

We are an electrical engineering firm working on our first Revit project, we are using Revit MEP 2008 and the architect we are working with is using Revit Architecture 2008. I found an awesome tutorial here about the project set-up procedures and I used that to get us started, everything worked great! Now the Architect has posted an updated model and I went to update the model thats linked into our project, well there are some issues now. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me the basic steps to update the linked model? In AutoCAD it was just a mater of making sure the update was the same name and overwriting the old background, simple, Revit seems a bit more complex. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated! Thanks to all, for your time and help!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: updating architect's linked model

You're pretty much on track, it is similar, but careful planning makes everything play nicely, even if slightly more complicated. I would choose to isolate their file by recreating the copy they gave you into its own Central file somewhere on your local network. Open Revit > File > Open > Detach From Central > SaveAs.

Here are a few things that will make everything go smoothly:
    1. Never SaveAs with the same name over an existing Central File.
    2. Always Archive and rename the Architectural Revit file before replacing with a current version.
    3. Isolate the Architectural file so it doesn't look for its orginal Central file, thus reducing errors (unless the Architects are on the same internal network).

Revit will keep the instance of the link in your Model. After archiving the old one, and saving the new one to the correct location, all you need to do is go to Manage Links > Reload From and you'll be all set.

Good luck!
    HTH,
    LC

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: updating architect's linked model

Thanks echo for the response and the tips! So when i go to update the Arch's model, i"ll take the old link, rename it and archive it, correct? then i'll take the new model open detach from central, purge unused, give it the same name as the old link before it was renamed and archived, right? after this is done is there anything else i'll need to do? do i have to copy/monitor all the levels/rooms again? The problem I'am having is that the old room objects and tags are still showing up, the changes in the model are represented but the room tags are not updating and i get a warning when i open the model that X amount of rooms can not be updated? Am I missing something? can anyone give me a step by step rundown of how updating a model should go? Thank you all !!!