Thread: Column to beam connection

Login to Give a bone

Angry Column to beam connection

I cant figure it out - what I am doing wrong.
    See picturec attached.

I have beams attched to columns.

When i move the grid - lower beam (that is between columns) acts ok but top beam doesnt move along?

Is it me or Revit?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Column to beam connection

Lonely Wolf,

You are not doing anything "wrong". Revit is simply not currently set up to respond in the way you'd like in this situation. Read on...

The lower beam has a join (automatically made by Revit) to both columns and will therefore stretch to try and stay attached to them (your desired behavior). The upper beam is not joined to the columns. You've likely made the top offset below level 3 and either set it to be exactly at the depth of the beams or used the "attach" tool to set the column tops to the underside of the beam. When you changed the top offset, you probably got a warning saying that Revit would need to unjoin the elements.

Either method of achieving that configuration causes the beam to not be "joined" to the columns. There is a difference between "attach" and "join" in terms of how Revit responds to user changes such as dragging the column or dragging (Moving) the gridline. Attachment will not do anythign but warn you the attachment target (the bottom of the beam) is no longer found by the column and just setting the top of the column lower but not using the attachment feature causes the beam and the column to "not know about each other" and the beam will not "notice" that the column has moved and will therefore not try to resize itself to the new column location.

That was kind of a long way to say "It doesn't work that way" but hopefully you can see the difference between Revit's Internal Joining mechanism and the Attach command.

-Ken
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API

Login to Give a bone

Thanks but...

How can i join them?

I need the beam top to be on certain level- when i change the beam height the top must remain in place.

Only way i got them joined when the level is between them - so that beam is justified by bottom (not by top).

Is there another way? or am i missing something?

(huh English is hard...)

I could stop if I wanted to kmarsh's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lonely Wolf,

There is currently no way, that i'm aware of, to achieve the behavior you desire. Maybe one of the RST Powerusers might chime in with a work-around. In the meantime, you might consider cleaning up the column top locations as your last operation (so that the beams stay joined to the columns until you are more confident of the column's final position.

If you feel strongly that your desired behavior is more universally desireable, I hope you'll post a wish on the RST Wishlist forum. The Revit Structure Product Managers do read that forum.

Thanks,
    -Ken
    Ken Marsh
    Owner, Marsh API

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

What is the top of the column set to? If it has an offset from the top level to the bottom of the beam than I'm guessing the centerlines of the beam and column aren't "seeing" each other. I don't know how this might effect your linework in plan but set the top of the column to the same level as the top of the beam.