Thread: Lock Drawing order of Specific Objects

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Lock Drawing order of Specific Objects

Summary: Lock the drawing order of specific ojbects.

Description: I would like to have the possibility to lock the drawing order of specific objects, so that the object I select is always on top without consideration of which object has been created first, for instance.

How Used: The drawing order of objects is difficult to control. Sometimes it seems that objects that were brought to the front - "jump" to the back, and vice versa. It is difficult to figure out what is the drawing order of more than 2 objects that coincide.

Feature Affinity: Drawing Tools 2D

Submitted By: Yair Yes on October 7, 2007

Default Re: Lock Drawing order of Specific Objects

This may be helpful proposal

I'm working in a drawing right now that's being a royal pain to work with in this aspect, for the very same reason that was mentioned. I came to AUGI because I remember seeing it in the wishlist, and wanted to make sure I had it voted for.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Lock Drawing order of Specific Objects

Lock Drawing order of Specific Objects

Summary: Lock the drawing order of specific ojbects.

Description: I would like to have the possibility to lock the drawing order of specific objects, so that the object I select is always on top without consideration of which object has been created first, for instance.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Drawing Tools 2D

Submitted By: yair on 10/07/2007

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Hi Yair,

I am Ravi from Autodesk and I would like to understand the use cases of the problem you are facing. Could you please reply to me at: ravi dot sapata at autodesk dot com

Regards,
    Ravi
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2016-01-20 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Email address modified; beware of spammers

Hi Ravi - Welcome to AUGI.

This wish is from 2007, but still something that I wish was implemented.

I believe that Yair wants the ability to persistently, and dynamically link an Object's (it Layer's?) Sortents Table index position, relative to the Table (top, bottom, etc), or relative to another Object.

This is data that would need to be stored to the Drawing's NOD, and account for initialization at drawing open, and IsErased Object Property when an event being raised accordingly.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2016-01-20 at 12:57 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

As example: always keeping raster images or PDFs behind all line work, MLeaders with background mask on always in front, etc.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Yeah, I've never understood this.

I mean, when I open a drawing or move an image or do a regen, my layer named [pick a layer] doesn't suddenly change colors or linetypes....

But I swear, you're working along and object sorting just magically changes.. with no apparent rhyme or reason...
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I'm still experiencing this issue; in my case with Civil 3D Alignment Station Offset Labels (I use these with Expressions to quickly layout Front/Mid/Rear lots grades using Profile Reference Text component + Expressions). I enabled the background mask, but have other layers above them, and they keep coming to the front. Grrr

I'd like to see if I can make the time to have a small app handle this, at least at drawing open, regen, and before save.

Especially now that I'm looking for this, it seems to happen a lot - I think Civil 3D keeps deleting the existing label and adding a new one to the drawing each time it 'updates' - which would be fine, so long as it first stores the Sortents Table location and applies that index to the resultant Label.

I may have to report this as a bug report in Civil 3D Futures forums, where it would be useful if other participants there might confirm the undesired behavior.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Lightbulb Re: Lock Drawing order of Specific Objects

I found this while looking for a way to get a report of the draw order of all the populated layers. No dice on that.
    But.... there is a way to stop the most recently edited layer from popping to the top of the draw order

DRAWORDERCTL - there is an Autodesk Knowledge Center article about it, and all these commands.

There are also HATCHTOBACK and TEXTTOFRONT that may be useful to you. And, AECLAYERORDER

I know it's not perfect, but I hope it helps,
    Cheers,
    Su
    Last edited by srleone9; 2021-02-19 at 04:51 PM. Reason: found another resource, woot!