Thread: Title Block, Fields, SSM not working together

Login to Give a bone

Default Title Block, Fields, SSM not working together

I am trying to set up a title block for some files that have already been created. I wanted to know if I am going about this the right way.

I have created all the text and lines in the layout space in a new drawing file. The text has fields associated with it to grab information from my Sheet Set Manager (such as page number, project name, drawing number, etc). (1) Do I need to now select EVERYTHING on the page and create a block out of it? (2) What is the best and easiest way to insert this into drawings/layouts that have already been created with viewports and page setup type of things already completed and set?

Basically, I took my title block file and added it to my sheet set manager so I could see the changes being made were correct. Then, I selected everything in the layout, clicked the "create block," removed the title block from the sheet set manager, saved the file, selected the block, and copied it. I then opened one of my drawings in my sheet set manager, went to one of the layouts that needs the title block, and tried both "paste" and "paste as block." These worked to get file into the drawing, however it is not pulling all the information from the sheet set manager. The fields that are CURRENTSHEETNUMBER, CURRENTSHEETCUSTOM, CURRENTSHEETTITLE don't seem to be working properly. Either I see # signs or the lettering is all on top of itself, like it is calling information twice. UPDATEFIELD doesn't seem to do anything. The only way I have found to get the title block to update with the correct information in the new layout is.... after using the plain 'ol "paste" to insert the block, to explode the block (which then updates everything with the correct info), and then re-create the block. While, this works, I really don't want to do this for 50+ sheets. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

~Thanks for any help anyone can give me. Let me know if there is any other information needed.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Title Block, Fields, SSM not working together

Here are 3 screen shots of the area that I am talking about. The 1st picture shows what it looks like when I just "paste" the block into the new layout, and the 2nd picture shows what it looks like when I "paste as block" into the new layout. The 3rd picture is what happens when I explode the block and re-create it.... with the correct information that should be displayed.

Login to Give a bone

use attribute defintions instead of text objects. then after inserting the block into paperspace, ensure that the layout is in fact a part of the sheet set. Save and close the drawing, then open it.

what happens then?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If cadtag's assumption that you're using text and not attributes is correct, that's the biggest part of your problem, likely. To answer number 2, the easiest way to get sheet set functionality with existing layout drawings is to right-click on the sheet set or a subset (as appropriate) from the "Sheet List" tab of the SSM and select "Import Layout as Sheet." This allows you to name views & rename / number them. For the block itself, drag it over into a tool palette, and then it's just a couple of clicks to place in each drawing. Unfortunately, there's no simple "find and replace" without using LISP / VBA / etc. that I'm aware of to place a block into multiple files.