Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beam cutback distance.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Beam cutback distance.

I'm having trouble getting the cutback to appear in plan. it shows up in section but I can seem to get it to show up at all in plan. When selecting the beam, the cutback symbol is there but the linework doesn't show properly. Is there something I'm missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beam cutback distance.

Nothing yet?!? Surprising.

Login to Give a bone

Looks like you beam is sloped. By default the symbolic line is drawn at the center of the beam. Try setting the symbolic stick symbol to be at the top of the beam.

If that does not work I would need more info.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by snellem View Post
    Looks like you beam is sloped. By default the symbolic line is drawn at the center of the beam. Try setting the symbolic stick symbol to be at the top of the beam.

If that does not work I would need more info.
    Well it's not actually sloped. It is horizontal but it is rotated to align with the slope of the top chord of the truss it's framing into. I have already check/changed where the stick sybol is projected from and there is no change.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Beam cutback distance.

It kind of looks like the end extension is set back from the endpoint, which would give you a graphical cut back in a profile view of the beam, but what I suspect is that the beam's endpoint is not actually connecting to the truss. I have run into this alot with sloped framing. I haven;t figured out exactly why it does this yet because in my cases you can see the two members are touching, but I think it has to do with the reference plane and/or the work plane each member is placed on. You might want to play around with where your beam elevations are referencing off of. I could probably tell you more about your specific problem if I could see screen shots of each member's Element Properties dialog box.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Believe it or not I think I got my answer at this years AU. I haven't worked on this file in a while so I haven't tested it yet. Another person in our office (one who doesn't have experience with Revit 200 added these beams to the model. I'm guessing the Z offset distance wasn't used correctly, if at all, to get the beams at the correct elevation. If I remeber correctly he put them in as a beam system on a reference plane matching the roof slope, unpinned them and manually adjusted the spacing. I personally would have just drawn them one by one (there are only 4) with an offset to thier correct elevation. I'll update when I finish my dectective work.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Well, no luck. Now I'm on to a different project in RS2009 and I'm still having the same problem. I have a sloped beam with beams framing into it and the beam cutback is not showing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Never mind.......I looked at it closer. REALLY close in fact and found that the sloped reference plane I was using to put the beams in was 3/256" above the girder. Problem solved.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jmctamney View Post
    Never mind.......I looked at it closer. REALLY close in fact and found that the sloped reference plane I was using to put the beams in was 3/256" above the girder. Problem solved.
    I'm curious- why are you using a reference plane instead of 3d snapping?

This is the second post that I've looked at today regarding beam systems and sloped reference planes.

Joe

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jcharpentier View Post
    I'm curious- why are you using a reference plane instead of 3d snapping?

This is the second post that I've looked at today regarding beam systems and sloped reference planes.

Joe
    I used 3d snaping to place the sloped girders and the reference plane for the beam system between the girders. The beams between the girders were the ones giving me troubles until I noticed the reference plane they were "attached" to was 3/256" higher than the girder they were framing into. Ever since Revit added the Start/End level offset and z-Direction Offset I've been running into problems with the beam cutback not showing properly in plan. I've noticed you need you need to pick a method and stick to it because mixing start/end offset and z-direction offset isn't good for the beam cutback being shown properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast