See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Endcaps

Login to Give a bone

Default Endcaps

I know this is probably really easy, but I can't figure out how to get my endaps to work. For some reason, they don't work for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The walls on the bottom are double brick walls. The pline on top is what I need it to look like. There is a gate in the middle, which is where I need the endcap style. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Endcaps

Okay, I just noticed that there is a sweep on the inner part of the double wall. It shouldn't be there so I deleted it, use this drawing instead.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I've put one together just using three components (brick / cavity / brick) as an example, the pline I set it from is next to it, notice I have used a pline with a width where I don't want a line to appear in the endcap. (If that makes sense).

Does that help?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Problem is, I apparantly don't understand endcaps too well. I tried to copy your endcap style to my drawing and use it and it didn't work. How do I go about creating one? I get that I use plines, and I get your comment about the plines with a thickness don't show a line in the wall in plan view. I just don't know where to draw them and how to get them loaded. Also, do I need to do one for evey horizontal wall component (such as brick and accent stripes)?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Problem is, I apparantly don't understand endcaps too well. I tried to copy your endcap style to my drawing and use it and it didn't work. How do I go about creating one? I get that I use plines, and I get your comment about the plines with a thickness don't show a line in the wall in plan view. I just don't know where to draw them and how to get them loaded. Also, do I need to do one for evey horizontal wall component (such as brick and accent stripes)?
    OKay I don't understand your wall too well.

I think you basically need to create another component for the cavity, then create a new endcap style and set it from a the three polylines which you need to assign to the relevant components.

You see in my dwg I have a very simple wall with 3 components. Then working from left to right I apply the Plines to component 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.Sanderson(UK) View Post
    OKay I don't understand your wall too well.

I think you basically need to create another component for the cavity, then create a new endcap style and set it from a the three polylines which you need to assign to the relevant components.
    Ahhh, don't have a component for the cavity. Never thought of it, actually. Do you have to have a component for the cavity?

It's just a double brick screening wall, the top course would be a row lock to tie both sides together with truss wire every 3rd course or so. It's just to create an enclusure for an air compressor.

Login to Give a bone

If you look at the stock OOTB brick with stud or block back up, I believe that they have a component for the air space. So Yep, you should have any gap in the wall. ACA dosen't know what air is. It dosen't know the difference between air and Brick. So leaving a gap in the wall without making it a component will only confuse it. Sometimes when building wall style or other things you need to think of ACA like a little child and give it more info that you should have to.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    If you look at the stock OOTB brick with stud or block back up, I believe that they have a component for the air space. So Yep, you should have any gap in the wall. ACA dosen't know what air is. It dosen't know the difference between air and Brick. So leaving a gap in the wall without making it a component will only confuse it. Sometimes when building wall style or other things you need to think of ACA like a little child and give it more info that you should have to.
    uh oh. None of my walls that I've created have the air gap as a component. I just offset the brick and created a gap that way. I've never had any problems with it, of course, I'm just starting to use endcaps so.....................back to the drawing board!

Login to Give a bone

Well if your existing models aren't broke, don't fix em.
    But when you get to end caps notice that each component requires a line. So if you do a brick return and you want to maintain a small air gap @ the return, you would be required to add it.
    I hope this makes a little sence. Good luck with the end caps.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Right then, the attached file shows hopefully what you require.

Here's what I did:

Your wall had been set as a variable width wall (using base width), so I assigned widths to the componants to make it a fixed width, I then added an Air Space component and created a new material which has been set to turn off all display properties.

I created the Plines as shown in the file, then created a new endcap style named Gate Opening and chose the set from option. Components 1-5 (the outer leaf) were set from the first pline, component 6 (Air Space) from the second Pline and components 7-11 (the inner leaf) from the last pline (not 6-11 as I state in the attached). Working left to right.

Then I created a new opening endcap and assigned the above to the jambs.

I removed some display properties overrides whilst doing this so you may want to go through this process yourself to make sure I haven't changed anything important that you need.

Hope this helps.

PS: When are you guys gonna start using metric, I ain't used to all this imperial stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast